My mother, from Sevilla Spain, is a genious in the kitchen and together we’ll be featuring a recipe through photos or video every Monday.
Today we’ll be featuring Tortilla Española con Espárrago, Spanish Tortilla with Asparagus. Tortilla Espanola is one of my favorite Spanish foods. Sitting at a bar in Spain on a hot summers day eating a tapita of tortilla and a bowl of cold gazpacho soup is devine! It’s really an easy dish to prepare and will be my first Monday’s with Mami recipe.
A traditional recipe for a Spanish tortilla omelet. Tortilla Española con Espárrago
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 4-5 medium potatoes, sliced in rounds
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 10 -12 stalks Asparagus, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Boil the asparagus in water for about 10 minutes or until softened. Add a pinch of Kosher salt in the water.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat 1/2 cup of Olive Oil. Once the oil is hot enough, add your sliced potatoes and onion. Stir until mixed. Cover and sweat the vegetables for 15 minutes. You'll want the potatoes and onions to be softened and not too browned.
- In a large bowl, whisk 6 large eggs. Add the potatoes and onion mixture and the boiled asparagus; ,mix thoroughly.
- Once you've mixed, add the egg, potato, and asparagus mixture back into the non-stick skillet and cook over medium heat for four minutes.
- Flip the entire tortilla onto another surface to be able to cook the other side. In Spain they sell great pans that are double sided so all you do is flip the pan around to cook the other side. I don't have one so what I do is use my stone pizza bake. I carefully put the skillet on my counter and while wearing oven mitts, I put the stone pizza pan on top of the skillet and... flip! Once I've flipped the tortilla, I slide it back into the skillet to cook the other side. Trust me, It takes pratice, but so worth it once you get the technique down.
- Once it's been flipped, cook the other side for about another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad and some crustybread ;)