It’s Monday and my routine is finally falling right back into schedule. As I’ve been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, I’ve really been inspired to be eating more locally and in season. My garden is no where near to producing and the Des Moines Farmers Market doesn’t start for another 2 weeks. So…. I called Picket Fence Creamery and sure enough they had fresh spinach from a local farmer calling my name. I had to pick up milk anyways so it was a treat knowing that they were going to hold their last bag of spinach just for me so that I could make a spinach lasagna. An added bonus, they currently have bags of raw sugar for $1.79, SWEET!
Spinach Lasagna, recipe from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
- 1 pound whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 4 cups spinach,chopped
- 16oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a large casserole.
- Cover surface with a layer of noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta, 1/2 of the spinach, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Lay down another layer of noodles, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the spinach, 1/3 of the sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Spread a final layer of noodles, the remainder of the sauce and mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 350F for 40 minutes.