I FINALLY came up with a steel cut oatmeal recipe that ALL 3 of my boys enjoyed!! It has taken me 3 years and many failed attempts! I’ve pretty much tried it all! Consecutive trials in the crockpot, honey, real maple syrup, SUGAR!!, dried fruit, banana cream, you name it, I’ve tried it! I finally put out a plea on facebook and received some great advice. One of them from my friend Lesli at Being Mum. She told me she makes her baby boy Carter Apple Pie Oatmeal. Apples, Cinnamon and Brown Sugar. A light bulb went off when she mentioned this. I had remembered another baked oatmeal recipe and decided to bake mine. (Thanks Lesli!!!)
Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Steel Cut Oats
- 4 small or 2 large apples (I used organic fuji apples)
- 2 farm fresh eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbl butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Soak your steel cut oats the night before. About an inch of water over your oats. Not only does soaking your steel cut oats aid in digestion, but it also softens them so they are not so gritty. I would suggest to not skip this step.
- Drain your steel cut oats in a colander to get rid of excess water. Put them in a baking dish.
- Chop and dice your apples and stir into the oats.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs, milk, maple syrup, and butter. Stir into your oats.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. You’re house is going to smell YUMMY!!
- Once the oatmeal is done, serve into bowls. Add some whole milk and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.