I love legumes. Packed with protein, nutrients and best of all, my kids will eat them!
Now that local Spring veggies are in season, judias blancas con espinaca is a great dish to use up that Spinach. Enjoy
- 1 cup Great Northern White Beans (Or Garbanzos or Cannellini) soaked overnight.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Slice Bread
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can Organic diced tomato's
- a good pinch of Paprika, (Preferrably, Spanish Paprika, Pimenton)
- 1 lb Spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- Kosher Salt
- Drain the beans, place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 1 hour until the beans are tender. Drain.
- Heat 3 tbl EVOO in a frying pan and fry the bread until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Saute the onion in the remaining EVOO (Add a little more if you need to) over low heat until soft but not brown, then add the tomato's and continue cooking over low heat.
- In a large pan, add 3 tbl EVOO and stir in the paprika. Add the spinach. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Add the onion and tomato mixture to the spinach, mix well and stir in the beans.
- Place the garlic and fried bread in a food processor and process until smooth. Stir in the spinach and bean mixture.
- Add 2/3 cup water and cover and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.