As usual Friday and Saturday’s are super busy in my household. On Friday night I finished a cake for a girl at my church. Yet another hobby of mine.
I learned how to decorate cakes this past winter. My sister had alway’s wanted to learn so I tagged along. Together we took 3 Wilton classes at our local hobby store and I actually ended up teaching myself quite a bit by digging into online tutorials. I love YouTube!! I had fun with this cake and am feeling super comfortable using fondant. I’d really like to start making some 3d figurines as they do in Europe! I Don’t know if I’ll ever have time for that though, lol!!
Saturday was filled with a baby shower, grocery shopping, and softball games. My hubby’s team may have won their league! He was pretty pumped about it.
Sunday, sweet glorious Sunday. I’ve been trying to make a point of relaxing on the Lord’s day. My 3 year old son and I had a mommy, Son-day! We had so much fun sneaking in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, gummy worms and juice boxes to watch Transformers on the big screen! The big TV as he calls it He picked the movie and fell asleep half way through. As usual after the show we ended up in my garden at my parents home. My garden is doing amazing and my beans are producing beautiful colors of purple and yellow pods. They are amazingly crunchy and sweet! I love to eat them right off the plant.
5pm rolled around and my mom and I had no dinner plans. So.. we looked at what was growing, what we had fresh from the farmers markets and made delicious fresh and healthy vegetable mixes. It doesn’t take a recipe to enjoy fresh vegetables from the garden. If you have Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Onions, Garlic and Herbs, you’re good to go!
So we made Fresh from the Garden,
Beet and Bean Salad Aliñado
- 5-6 beets, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 2 fresh sprigs of Thyme
- Dash of Oregano, Rosemary, and Tumeric
(You can use any dried or fresh herbs you may have according to your tastes!)
- Handful of fresh Green Beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a pot of boiling water, boil the beets for 20 – 30 minutes or until tender.
- Once the beets are tender, remove from water and dice them into smaller pieces.
- In a large bowl add the beets, balsamic vinegar, EVOO, onion, garlic, green beans, and herbs.
- Mix thoroughly and chill before serving.
Grilled Yellow Squash and Onions
- 1 large yellow squash
- 1 large white onion
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the yellow squash and onions
- In a bowl, add the squash, onions, EVOO, salt and pepper and mix through.
Super easy sides of veggies fresh from the garden! How are your garden’s producing? If you have any fresh and easy veggie garden recipes, feel free to share!!