This recipe was inspired by Arabic Bites Safija (lentils pizza’s).

Spanish food is highly influenced by the Arab world including Jews and Moors. The Moors invaded Spain in AD 711, and stayed for nearly 800 years leaving behind their culinary influence especially in the South of Spain we all know as Andalucia. It’s completely evident today as I visit Arab food blogs and see the similarities in spices, stews and use of legumes. When I visited Arabic Bites and saw their Safija, I was taken away. I decided to make my own lentil topping a bit more traditional to Spain by including Chorizo sausage and Spanish paprika, pimenton.

Lenteja Chorizo Pizza

Lentils Topping:

• 2tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 small Palacios chorizo sausages, diced, casings removed
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp Spanish paprika (pimenton)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cup brown lentils, cook according to package directions
  • cilantro to garnish

For the dough:

1. Combine all dough ingredients. Knead to make soft dough. Knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
  2. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover, and stand in warm place about 1 hour.

For the Lentil Topping:

1. In a pan, heat 2tbl EVOO and saute the onions until transparent.
  2. Add the chorizo, crushed garlic, and tomato’s. Stir until the tomato’s have cooked down and released their juices.
  3. Add the Spanish paprika, salt, and lentils and simmer for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add a good drizzle of EVOO and mix through.

Assembly:

1. Divide the dough into 4 personal sized pizza rounds.
  2. Sprinkle cornmeal onto 2 pizza stones or pans and place the pizza rounds on top.
  3. Top each pizza with the lentil toppings and oil the crust of the pizza’s.
  4. Finish by sprinkling cornmeal on the crusts.
  5. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until browned.
  6. Once the pizza’s have been cooked, garnish with cilantro.

*If you havn’t already, make sure to sign up for my Wholesome Sweeteners Giveaway which ends this Friday!

12 Responses to Monday’s with Mami – Lenteja Chorizo Pizza

1. Liz says:

Wow, Diana! This sound delicious, my mum makes et least once a month a lentil-chorizo stew. In pizzas it must me so… good!

2. mathildescuisine says:

I'm a big fan of lentils but I would never have tought of using it on a pizza. Great idea!

3. hurstbeanblog says:

What a great idea! I'm going to have to try beans on a pizza sometime soon.

4. Gera @ SweetsFoods says:

A typical dish in my house…but not topped in a pizza, what a glorious and delectable idea, yummmmm :)

Cheers!

Gera

5. Hummingbird Appetite says:

Looks delicious! I love lentils in soup. But this recipe is very interesting with lentils and chorizo.

6. Kamran Siddiqi says:

I love the background information that you gave. Food is truly amazing. And even during wars, dishes are exchanged and later on they are adapted into different cuisines. I just think food history is fascinating…

Anyway, onto that pizza, OMG! Looks super delicious and that crust looks phenomenal. My kind of pizza.

7. Joan Nova says:

lentils and chorizos are 2 of my favorite things…but I never thought of putting them on pizza dough (another of my favorites!)

Thanks so much everyone! The inspiration for this goes to Arabic Bites :) This pizza was sooo yummy especially with the garnished cilantro.

9. Felix says:

Diana you have opened up a whole new world of taste for me. I've never had lentils on pizza before. Thanks for sharing this post.

10. The Duo Dishes says:

Oh, this pizza looks too good for words. We love tasty chorizo.

Howdy Diana, congratulations! You made it to the top 9. Yippie! I'm so happy for you:)

top 9 way to go!