Pollo En Pepitoria
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A 3 – 3 1/2 lb free range/organic chicken, cut
- A 1/4 lb piece of jamon serrano, cut in strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup dry (fino) sherry
- 3/4 cup homemade chicken broth
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 6 saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp thyme
- Celtic Sea Salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 15 roasted almonds
- 1 hardboiled egg, finely chopped
- In a large pan, heat the oil and saute the chicken over a high flame until it is well browned on all sides. (No skimping here 😉
- Pour off all but 1 tbl of the oil
- Reduce the heat, add the ham, onion, and garlic. Cook until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the sherry, broth, nutmeg, thyme, saffron, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the chicken, ham and bay leaf to an oven proof dish.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the almonds and the rest of the contents of the pan.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the oven proof dish.
- Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the hard-boiled egg over the chicken and serve.
This dish is served with a side of white rice and a green salad. Oh, and don’t forget a nice glass of vino tinto (red wine)!
– Don’t forget about the Spanish Earthenware Cazuela Giveaway! Only one more week to win!!!