Pollo en Pepitoria
Pollo en pepitoria is a traditional Spanish dish and a favorite in our home!  “Pepitoria” applies to poultry and game dishes to which egg has been added.  One of the most important ingredients in this dish is the use of Spanish Sherry.  I buy the brand, Pedro Romero, a pale dry sherry, fino.  It’s produced and bottled in San Lucar De Barrameda.  A small, beautiful beach town, in the South of Spain.  They are known for their amazing Manzanilla, La Gitana! (My family also happens to be from San Lucar ;) Pedro Romero makes a great pale dry sherry that’s soft, smooth and perfect for cooking.  It blends well with the flavours of homemade chicken broth, almonds and serrano ham.  This dish is sure to please any guest!

Pollo En Pepitoria

• 1 bay leaf
  • 1tsp thyme
  • Celtic Sea Salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 15 roasted almonds
  • 1 hardboiled egg, finely chopped

1. In a large pan, heat the oil and saute the chicken over a high flame until it is well browned on all sides. (No skimping here ;)
  2. Pour off all but 1 tbl of the oil
  3. Reduce the heat, add the ham, onion, and garlic.  Cook until the onion has softened.
  4. Stir in the sherry, broth, nutmeg, thyme, saffron, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
  5. Simmer 10 minutes, uncovered.
  6. Remove the chicken, ham and bay leaf to an oven proof dish.
  7. In a food processor or blender, blend the almonds and the rest of the contents of the pan.
  8. Pour the sauce over the chicken in the oven proof dish.
  9. Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
  10. Sprinkle the hard-boiled egg over the chicken and serve.

This dish is served with a side of white rice and a green salad.  Oh, and don’t forget a nice glass of vino tinto (red wine)!

Buen Provecho!!

- Don’t forget about the Spanish Earthenware Cazuela Giveaway!  Only one more week to win!!!

30 Responses to Monday’s with Mami – Pollo En Pepitoria

oh wow this looks so so good, your mum has taught you well girl

2. Miriam says:

I love pepitoria, the list of ingredients doesn't really show how well they all combine together. Pepitoria de pavo is the traditional 25th December main course at my home! Only we never use sherry, funny!

3. Cookin' Canuck says:

What a beautiful recipe! I can taste the sherry and chicken now – really a lovely combination. Your recipes are always unusual (in a very good way) and inspiring.

4. Noelle says:

QUe lindo! Wow. It is nice to know that I can always refer to your site for spanish recipes. My sister came back from Granada with Chufa drink and I am looking forward to having it again!

5. Tasty Eats At Home says:

Yum! This sounds lovely. I so love sherry with chicken.

6. Claudia Medeiros says:

What a wonderful recipe with chicken , Diana ! Spanish food is so tasty ! Thanks for sharing !
    Have a wonderful week and God bless your family :)

Diana,

Thanks for recommending a good Spanish sherry, I've been meaning to incorporate this into my cooking, but didn't know where to start. I adore recipe with serrano ham and saffron!

Christine

8. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Lovely flavors. I'm writing down the sherry for future reference!

Have a great week, Diana!

9. Kasha says:

Fun, Fun, Fun! You had me at Iowa! What a clever blog with fantastic recipes. Thank you for inspiring me. You give me something to strive for. I would be so honored if we could be food friends and you would consider adding my blog to your blog list. I would be so flattered to be found on a blog as cool as this. Thank you.
    kasha

This sounds so comforting…I'll bring the wine :D

This sounds fantastic with sherry! Thanks for the specific sherry recommendation, will definitely remember for the future.

This looks really good with wonderful flavors. I have to try this one day once I found some sherry.

13. Laura says:

I love the use of sherry, wonderful flavours you got in this dish:)

14. Joan Nova says:

Hola – This looks great. I love the Spanish tradition of making sauces with ground almonds. I'm sure the sherry fino brought it to yet another level.

15. Erica says:

Diana, I love Spanish food! I am so happy learning about all this recipes in your blog! Thank you so much for sharing :)

16. pityenlacocina says:

hi diana, my mum always uses pine nuts in her pepitoria, i love love pollo en pepitoria, hers is my grandad's recipe, every house has a recipe, and your family's looks sooooo delicious, i just need some bread to dunk in, DE LI CIO SO!!!
    besitos,

17. michael says:

Hi Diana
    Nice recipe!
    Do you know anything about chicken and shrimp dishes from the north of Spain?
    I've found one in Menu del Dia by Rohan Daft, but haven't yet tried it.
    Mikey

18. Amber says:

OMG Diana this sounds soooo good! I'll have to try this.

19. Miranda says:

This is one yummy chicken dish. I am def. putting this on my list to make…It looks wonderful.

I still have my fingers crossed that I win these amazing dishes!!!

20. Jenn/CinnamonQuill says:

So exotic! You eat amazingly at your house.

Thank you so much for the comments ;) This really does have amazing flavours. If you give it a try, let me know your thoughts ;)

Besitos!!!

Michael, Tried looking up your email to reply directly ;) Thanks so much for mentioning that book, I'm definitely going to add it to my collection! If you're looking for Spanish recipes from the North of Spain, please visit Nuria's blog, Spanish Recipes, pic by pic.

She's from Barcelona and has AMAZING recipes!!!

Un abrazo!

23. velva says:

Diana this chicken dish looks fabulous! Just love it! I thought it was good that you shared the sherry that you use in cooking this dish-keeps us foodies from buying cooking sherry in the salad dressing aisle of the grocery store :-) There is no comparison to the real thing!

24. Marija says:

This is so wonderful! I will make it soon :) Just one question – is it OK to put bacon instead of jamon serrano? Can't find it here :)

25. michael says:

Thanks, Diana
    I'll check out Nuria's blog right away.
    Mikey

This recipe looks so deliciously prepared. I wonder if I can gether all the ingredients over here. I'll try! Thanks, Diana! Happy Halloween to you & your family and have fun. Cheers.

27. Mi amiga passed along your website to me…we have an awful lot in common!! Always fun to find a new blog! I am more practiced at comida mexicana…but love Spanish food tambien. I have pinned this recipe to try. I also loved your post on teaching your boys about real food (the macaroni post), hay, dios mio, can I relate?! Our lessons are even more pronounced since we have food allergies…so my kids feel even more different than anyone else….but you keep pluggin away and hope those little seeds of knowledge take to sprouting!