Brussels Sprout and Bacon Gratin

bs_augratin
I’m hosting my first Christmas Eve dinner for 17 people!  I’m excited and nervous at the same time as both sides of our family will be joining us with completely different palates.  My side of the family, Latino and my husband’s side of the family, Germans from Iowa.  So I was thinking a fusion of foods including traditional tamales, which my family usually eats on Christmas Eve, and a nice slow cooked brisket.  They seem to compliment each other and something you could actually eat a little bit of both of.  Within the next couple of weeks, I’ll be testing out different recipes I’d like to include as side dishes and the following recipe will definitely be gracing our table this Christmas Eve.  Brussels Sprout and Bacon Gratin.  This was another great way to enjoy seasonal Brussels sprouts. These Brussels sprouts are baked in the oven with a mix of bacon, parmesan cheese, raw heavy cream and milk! They turned out so deliciously creamy and cheesy with just the right hint of saltiness added in by the bacon.  My carnivorous husband enjoyed this dish but of course he loves anything with bacon!  Now, I just need to make sure and pick up some more brussels sprouts at our December market!

What are you serving on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?  Any special side dishes you’d like to suggest?  How about biscuits?  Any great biscuit recipes I should know about?  Thanks so much!  I can use all the help I can get ;)

Brussels Sprout and Bacon Gratin

• 1lb Brussels sprouts, rinsed and cut in half
  • 2/3 cup full fat cream
  • 2/3 cup full fat milk
  • 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbls butter
  • 6 slices bacon, cooked and sliced into small pieces
  • pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 300F.
  2. In a small bowl mix together the cream, milk and parmesan cheese.
  3. In an ovenproof dish, place a layer of Brussels sprouts and sprinkle with half of the bacon pieces, followed by another layer of Brussels sprouts and the remaining bacon pieces.
  4. Pour the cream, milk and parmesan cheese mixture over the Brussels sprouts and bacon.
  5. Season with freshly ground pepper.
  6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
  7. Remove the aluminum foil, press the sprouts under the liquid and bake for an additional 35 minutes.

This recipe is also a part of Oprah.com featured Holiday blogger recipes!  That’s right, I have been invited to be a featured Holiday blogger over at Oprah.com. Stop on by and check out my profile ;)

Other recipes of interest: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Red Onions and Pancetta

26 Responses to "Brussels Sprout and Bacon Gratin"
  1. Amy says:

Hmmmm… hadn't thought about the holiday dinner. We usually have a Mexican dinner – green chile chicken enchiladas, spanish rice, and chips w/guacamole. Now that we are trying to eat more vegan I may try a vegan whole wheat lasagna.

Those brussel sprouts look great, btw. :)

Blessings!
    Amy

2. ~Sara says:

Hi Diana,
    I live here in Des Moines and I read your last post about your chickens. I love your chicken coop. I am preparing to get started with chickens this Spring and had a few questions for you. I was going to email you but I couldn't get the "contact" link to work. Could you send me your email?

Thanks!
    Sara
    slfiggins@hotmail.com

3. *Lesli* says:

i love roasted brussel sprouts with EVOO, sea salt and garlic :)

4. Michelle @ Find Your Balance says:

That looks amazing. I love brussels sprouts!

For Thanksgiving I made kale chips this year – they were a huge hit as part of our appetizer spread.

5. Tasty Eats At Home says:

You know, as on top of it as I was for Thanksgiving, I haven't planned anything for Christmas dinner yet. Nothing. Don't even know what day we'll be celebrating. How terrible is that? This does look really tasty though!

6. Crail Cakes says:

I'm so sad I wont be able to join the family but I have to be at work till 10 :( If it's slow I get off at 8 so hopefully I can catch some of the festivities. Save me tamales girl!

7. Anonymous says:

Hi Diana,
    Do you have any recipe for tamales that you can include in your list? Thanks. Happy Holidays!!

Mar

8. Lori Lynn says:

They look fabulous. Best wishes with your dinner party. I'm sure it will be a huge success.
    LL

9. WizzyTheStick says:

Christmas dinner for me will be the usual fare of traditional dishes, honey baked ham, stewed pigeon peas, saffron rice, salad, pastelles (similar to your tamales ) etc.

Hi Diana, just got back from my vacation! Oh wow, this recipe sounds great. Love the cheese on it. I bet my kids would dig into this yumy dish. Have a wonderful weekend. Cheers.

11. Bellini Valli says:

Since my renewed interest in brussel sprouts after the Foodbuzz Festival I am always looking for ways to cook these little gems.

12. Simply Life says:

WOWOWOW! Congrats on being invited to blog there -that's incredible and so well-deserved!!!

13. Erica says:

Diana, That is going to be a great Christmas eve party!

14. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Great Brussels sprouts dish! It sounds like your Christmas Eve dinner will be wonderful. But I totally understand how different food backgrounds can be a bit tricky…

Congratulations on being featured on Oprah.com!!!!!! That's so exciting and well deserved! :)

15. 3LittleMonkeys says:

Hello! I found your site from Oprah's site. This looks wonderful. I can't wait to try it.

16. pigpigscorner says:

Love sprouts and bacon combo! This looks so good!

17. Anonymous says:

i`m your permanent reader now

18. Dorothy says:

Emm sounds so good and I will pop over to see your profile how exciting.

Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

looks great you will be fine Diana your an awesome cook can't wait to see the pics of the food lol Rebecca

20. Claudia Medeiros says:

I love gratin recipes and this one seems so delicious !!!
    Thanks for sharing, Diana :)

Have a blessed and beautiful week with your family ;)

Wow! Christmas is quickly approaching. I'm excited that you will be hosting such a big party, it's quite intimidating to organize big events, but I have all the confidence in you.

22. Anonymous says:

[url=http://hopresovees.net/][img]http://vonmertoes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [b]adobe photoshop cs4 extended upgrade, [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]software buying process[/url]
    [url=http://hopresovees.net/][/url] adobe photoshop cs4 color settings pc software stores in
    winzip 12 pro [url=http://hopresovees.net/]dj downloadable software[/url] windows vista key generator
    [url=http://hopresovees.net/]franco nero[/url] how to price software
    [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]cheap software to[/url] order software products
    buy phone software [url=http://hopresovees.net/]website store software[/b]

23. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite says:

Diana thanks so much for posting this. We have a TON of brussels sprouts to use up before we leave on Friday and I was looking for a new way to cook them. We also have bacon and cream so it's perfect!

24. Arabic Bites says:

Yummy brussel sprouts ;)
    Wishing you all the best diana :)

25. Ciber says:

I've been following your blog for quite a while and enjoying your wealth of good recipes. When Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing Fall 2010, I naturally thought of you. This recipe would be a good submission! You can enter here: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook/submit

Cheers,