Carrots and Roots – Purée Soup
(I’ve been using my kitchen scale for more precise measurements)
- 8oz carrots, chopped (about 5)
- 6oz potatoes, chopped (about 3 small potatoes)
- 4oz turnips, chopped (I used one large and 2 small)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup full fat milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- roasted, seasoned garbanzo’s to garnish (optional)
- homemade creme fraiche to garnish (optional)
- In a dutch oven or large pan, saute onion until translucent.
- Add the root vegetables and saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Cover, lower heat to low, and sweat for about 10 minutes. Stir every five minutes or so to make sure vegetables are not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth, cinnamon stick, and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Simmer vegetables for about 20 minutes or until root vegetables are tender.
- Once vegetables are tender, remove cinnamon stick and puree all contents in a blender. Return to pan.
- Add 1/2 cup full fat milk, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Garnish with homemade creme fraiche and roasted/seasoned garbanzo’s.
For the roasted and seasoned garbanzo’s I used Dara’s recipe from Cookin Canuck. I did, however, soak dry garbanzo’s and I used different seasonings after roasting them. I used a combination of rapadura sugar and spanish paprika. They turned out delicious and I can’t wait to make more using different seasonings! Definitely check out the recipe!
This post is part of Whole Foods for the Holiday’s.