Lemon Roulade
A perfect Christmas dessert made with coconut flour, ground almonds, and sweetened with all natural raw honey!  I’ve been enjoying baking with coconut flour as it’s a nourishing alternative to unbleached white flour. It’s comprised of 28% coconut oil and 58% fiber.  More fiber than whole wheat!  The inside cream is made with homemade whipped cream and lemon curd.  This lemon roulade is a little tart, sweet, nourishing, and oh so good!! And.. for all my celiac friends out there, gluten free!

Oh, and I almost forgot, I was able to use my brand spankin new Kitchen Aid blender for this!  It was great!!  It made a perfect meringue and whipped cream, so easy!

A Wholesome Lemon Roulade
This lemon roulade is done in 4 parts but oh so worth it!  I would suggest making the lemon curd a day or even a week in advance as it keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

This recipe calls for a lot of “folding.” It’s a very important technique in this recipe as you will need to make a cake light and spongy enough to roll.  If you are not familiar with folding, below is a great video to learn the proper technique.

Part 1 – Lemon Curd
Makes 1lb, for the lemon roulade we’ll only use 4 tbls

• grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons butter

1. Put the grated zest and juice of 3 lemons into a pan with 1/4 cup of raw honey.  Bring to a boil, stirring until the honey has mixed in with the lemon juice.
  2. Mix to a paste 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder with 1 tablespoon of water.
  3. Add to the lemon/honey mixture.
  4. Remove from heat and beat in 2 egg yolks.
  5. Return to low heat and mix for about 2 minutes and then remove from the heat again.
  6. Gradually beat in 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature.
  7. Pour into a mason jar, or other sterilized jar, cover and seal.
  8. Let the curd cool, then chill.

Part 2:  Lemon Roulade Sponge

• 4 eggs, separated
  • 2 oz (1/4 cup) raw honey
  • Grated zest of 2 lemons
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup ground almonds
  • 3 tbl sifted coconut flour
  • 3 tbls, organic powdered sugar for dusting and making it look oh so festive ;)

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.  Grease a 13 x 9-inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 1 oz (1/8 cup) raw honey until light and foamy.
  3. Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla extract, then lightly fold in the ground almonds and coconut flour using a rubber spatula or large metal spoon.
  4. Beat the egg whites in a greasefree bowl until they form stiff, glossy peaks.  Gradually beat in the remaining 1oz (1/8 cup) of raw honey to form a stiff meringue.
  5. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue at a time into the egg yolk mixture. Do not overfold, just enough to incorporate.
  6. Pour into the prepared pan, level the surface, and bake for 10 minutes, or until risen and spongy to the touch.
  7. Cover loosely with parchment paper and a damp dish towel.
  8. Let the cake cool in the pan.

Part 3 – Make the lemon cream

• 1 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons fresh lemon curd

1. Whip the cream in a stand mixer.  Make sure you do not over whip and turn the cream into butter ;)  Below is a great video on how to properly make whipped cream.  I used my stand mixer and put my mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer before whipping.
  2. Lightly fold in the lemon curd.

Part 4 – Assembly

1. Sift the confectioners sugar onto a piece of parchment paper.
  2. Turn the sponge onto it.  Peel off the lining paper and spread the lemon curd cream over the surface of the sponge, leaving a border around the edge.
  3. Using the paper underneath as a guide, roll up the sponge from one of the long sides.
  4. Place on a serving platter with the seam underneath.
  5. Serve

This recipe is a part of Real Food Wednesday hosted by Cheeseslave and Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

This recipe is also a part of Oprah.com featured Holiday blogger recipes!  That’s right, I have been invited to be a featured Holiday blogger over at Oprah.com. Stop on by and check out my profile ;)

26 Responses to A Wholesome Lemon Roulade – Gluten Free

1. NOELLE says:

What an elegant dessert Diana and so festive! You have such a gift for baking!

2. jose manuel says:

Se parece a los brazo de gitano españoles. un saludo

3. Stephanie @ glutenfreebynature.com says:

diana

we gluten free people thank you for such a fantastic looking dessert! funny, I was thinking about trying something like this for the holidays…you beat me to it:) we love coconut flour in our house too!

stephanie

this looks great and a lovely treat for Celiacs I know a lady who runs a gluten free website shes a writer would you like me to ask her to feature it and link to you?

Rebecca

5. Shirley says:

Looks great!

6. Kristen says:

I didn't know coconut flour was so nutritious! What an elegant dessert!!

7. Tasty Eats At Home says:

So pretty! I was just admiring a roulade cake at a party this past weekend, and thought "gee, I need to make a gluten-free version"! And here you are, saving the day! I love lemon desserts, and this sounds wonderful. I'm amazed the the coconut and almond flours worked well enough to allow the cake to roll without crumbling! Definitely have to make this.

8. Amber @ Native Food and Wine says:

Sounds healthy but delicious. I love lemon desserts too. I love that citrus is in season right now too. It's perfect to brighten up cold, dark weather.

I have never heard of coconut flour. I'll have to investigate. Not sure if they'd have it down here though.

Cheers,
        Amber

9. Simply Life says:

oh wow, that's just beautiful!

10. The Klutzy Cook says:

This looks really beautiful – and what a great first hitout for the Kitchen Aid.

I've never heard of coconut flour before and will have to investigate this a bit further. Sounds delicious as well as healthy.

Oh wow, this looks awesome! I bet it's so delicious. Saving it up for later use. Thanks, Diana! GUess more bakings coming up soon huh, since it's snowing and you've nowhere to go!

What a special holiday dessert! I have not had a roulade with lemon curd and it sounds super delicious! Congrats on being featured on oprah.com!

13. Tresa Augustine says:

Hello,

You have very nice blog and great recipes.
        I want to let you that I am launching a new discussion forum named "Joy Of Cooking Forums ".
        Joy Of Cooking Forums is a discussion forum for food bloggers
        to Announce/Share various Food Events,Awards,Achievements,
        Website updates/changes,Domain changes,New website/venture launch and much more.

I wud like to advertise your blog in my forum….

I would luv to invite you to Join My Forum

Greatly appreciate your support…

Tresa Augustine
        Owner Of http://www.4yourtastebuds.com/
        email:4yourtastebuds@gmail.com/simita84@gmail.com
        (I have provided a direct link to forums
        from my site too.)

14. Tresa Augustine says:

Please visit

Share ur thoughts…Share with friends…

This looks like a terrific and healthy dessert!

16. Erica says:

That looks delicious,Diana! In Colombia we have a similar dessert(Pionono) we filled we different stuff. I visited your profile…Congratulations!

17. Vegetable Matter says:

A beautiful roulade. Your recipe for lemon curd looks really interesting — I haven't made one that way, so I'm curious to try it.

18. Raine Saunders says:

Great recipe, Diana! Love your site! I've posted this on my Agriculture Society Facebook page today and Stumbled it. Come over and visit us there….http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Agriculture-Society/217990047058?ref=ts

Happy holidays to you!

-Raine

19. Kylie-Anne says:

Hi there!
        I CANNOT wait to make this one. It looks fantastic. Great article.
        Keep a look out for my organic lemon curd this weekend- the kitchen will be rocking'!

Yours Truly,
        Eat with Feeling!!

20. gaelle@whatareyoufeedingyourkidsthesedays.com says:

I just discovered your website and will follow in Google.
        I have been trying to diversify my children's diet as much as possible… because yes, like you, I believe that cooking healthy food from scratch should be easy! I'll definitively try to make your Lemon curd and to use coconut flour. Gracias!

21. lululu says:

I could feel the how soft and creamy the cake was simply by looking at the picture.

Thanks everyone for visiting and commenting. I really do appreciate your comments!

Raine – I just became a fan! Thanks for visiting!

Kylie-Anne – I'll keep a look out for your organic lemon curd, sounds fantastic!

Gaelle – Thanks for visiting! I'll be checking out your site soon!

23. Unplanned Cooking says:

I love that it's gluten free and so beautiful!

24. Winnie says:

I love lemon and this looks amazing!
        Thanks for sharing such a lovely gluten free dessert!

25. Cookin' Canuck says:

Fantastic recipe, Diana! I have never baked with coconut flour, but am very excited to try because my dad eats a mostly gluten-free diet.

26. Arabic Bites says:

lemon roulade look yummy and so pretty & that lemon cream looks amazing and delicious.
        I'll have to search for coconut flour next time I go to health store.