Honey Chamomile Frozen Custard

honey_chamomile_custard

It’s during these frigid cold months that I get so excited to enjoy the fruits of my labor.  A  frozen custard using chamomile I grew in my garden and dried at home topped with canned peaches I preserved last year.

chamomile

This is a special treat that infuses the herbal flavors of chamomile with sweet honey.

chamomile_dried
Of course it’s enriched by using fresh raw cream and farm fresh eggs from my backyard. A bit of sunshine, a bit of summer – to brighten and warm my day.

Honey Chamomile Frozen Custard

• 3 cups raw cream
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 2 1/2 tbls freshly dried chamomile flowers or 4-5 chamomile tea bags
  • 4 farm fresh egg yolks
  • canned peaches

1. Place the cream and honey in a pot and bring to a simmer. (Do Not Boil)
  2. Take the pot off the heat and add the chamomile.  Cover and steep for 10-15 minutes.
  3. Strain the loose flowers or remove the tea bags.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks.
  5. Bring the cream and honey back to a simmer and add the yolks constantly stirring over low heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
  6. Remove from heat and immediately cool.  Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
  7. The next day churn your cream mixture in an ice cream maker according to it’s instructions.
  8. Once it’s churned, place in your freezer to harden up.
  9. Serve topped with canned peaches.

27 Responses to "Honey Chamomile Frozen Custard"

What a great way to use chamomile flowers. I would love to have a taste of your special treat.I could live in your garden too. :D

2. A.R.Ambler says:

oh my, this looks delicious!

3. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Yum! Looks wonderful… I, too, have been enjoying the frozen fruits and veggies from my garden last summer.

4. jose manuel says:

Que buena idea, un helado con sabor a manzanilla. Rico y con curiosidad por hacerlo

5. Drick says:

interesting recipe with the dried flowers – bet it is wonderful..

6. Foy Update - Garden Cook Write Repeat says:

It looks pretty but I question the flavor. Is this like green tea ice-cream because I wasn't wild about that. Is this like coffee ice-cream? because I love coffee ice-cream and I'm not sure how I ever lived with out it.

7. Tasty Eats At Home says:

See, ice cream is already soothing to the soul (otherwise, why would we want to dig in when we're sad? LOL), and now, with chamomile, it's even more so! What a unique way to use these flowers.

8. Claudia Medeiros says:

I just love peaches, chamomile, everynight I have a cup of chamomile flowers tea before sleeping, it's so relaxing… ( I use to buy the dried flowers at a grocery ). This recipe is so lovely :)

Thanks for sharing, dear friend :)

Have a marvelous weekend !!!

9. Sanjana says:

This sounds so fragrant and refreshing! Perfect after a heavy meal!

10. Tiny Urban Kitchen says:

Nice! But doesn't eating ice cream in the winter make you feel cold? Or maybe it's colder in Boston than in Iowa. ;)

11. Ruth says:

so beautiful and it sounds just so gentle and yet rich on the palate. Having moved to Italy I have found so many sweets and desserts made with flowers that I tempted to experiment too!

What a lovely elegant dessert! I would love the fresh flavors of honey and chamomile! Very nice!

13. Miriam says:

Lovely idea and it must be so rewarding to use your own produce fo that!

oh this sounds amazing I bet your boys love it lol Rebecca

15. Juls @ Juls' Kitchen says:

Yummy! today is was feeling like camomile too!

16. Fuji Mama says:

Holy Guacamole did you just push all of the right buttons! YUM! I crave ice cream/sorbet/custard during winter…strange? I think I savor it more. I LOVE chamomile–such a great idea! My chamomile plant did NOT do well this past summer. Hopefully you'll be able to help me with that with your new series. :)

17. Sook says:

Oh wow! What a fancy recipe! I've never tried using flowers in a recipe. That sounds so terrific! Saving the recipe for sure. :)

18. Miranda says:

Diana,
    This is beautiful! I love all the raw ingredients.
    I may need your help with my garden. I have no idea how to start a garden in FL. I had one in Ohio, but I do not know how to start one in sand.

19. Damaris says:

what a beautiful simple recipe. I usually insfuse rosemarry with cream and honey, I will have to try out your recipe. Looks amazing.

20. Erica says:

That sounds interesting and delicious, Diana! love the pictures

21. Hummingbird Appetite says:

Yummy!

Gosh, I hated this! You make me salivating…. hmm…mm…

23. Aubrey says:

Oh my goodness, that looks so delicious! I just love honey and chamomile, so the idea of frozen custard with those flavors sounds just about perfect.

24. The Duo Dishes says:

It's not just for hot tea. Looks great!

25. Arabic Bites says:

Amazing Photos….
    I love chamomile so much… I always use it to relieve the pain of my migraine…but I did not think of planting myself…..
    Ohhhh that frozen custard looks creamy & very delicious … I'll give it a try today :D

26. Marija says:

I made panna cota with honey and chamomile once, so I know this is amazingly delicious!

I have some wild chamomile growing in my countryside house and will save this recipe for the summer.