Liadillos Sevillanos – Sevilla Style Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

liadillo_3
Cabbage, another winter seasonal vegetable.  I love fall and winter vegetables, especially that they store so well.  I stocked up on cabbage at my Winter Farmers Market this past December.  Beautiful heads of organic cabbage from Grinnell Heritage Farm.  at $1.50 a piece, they were a steal!  Enough to make lacto-fermented kimchi, cortido (which I will share soon) and Sevilla style stuffed cabbage rolls.

liadillo_1

Cabbage has a long history of use both as a food and a medicine.  It’s amazingly nutritious filled with vitamin k, Vitamin c, fiber, folate, and omega 3 fatty acids!  So store up!  They keep well in a dark cool place or vegetable crisper for months.

This style of stuffed cabbage rolls are from the city of Sevilla!  The city where my heart lies. Boiled Cabbage leaves stuffed with a meat mixture including cured serrano ham, then, rolled in breadcrumbs and fried in extra virgin olive oil. These rolls are only seasoned with nutmeg and a pinch of celtic sea salt since most of the seasonings come from the salt in the cured bacon and serrano ham and slightly bitter green olives. Simply Scrumptious!

Liadillos Sevillanos – Sevilla Style Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
-makes about 12 rolls

liadillo_4
  • 1lb lean ground beef
  • 3 bacon strips, cut up in small srips
  • 2 1/2 oz cured serrano ham (prosciutto or pancetta will work fine)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • Spanish green olives, diced
  • 1 tbls parsley (preferably Italian parsley)
  • Celtic Sea Salt
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Flour and breadcrumbs for frying

liadillo_2
  1. Trim the cabbage, eliminating any bruised or damaged leaves.  Blanch for 3-5 minutes in slightly salted boiling water.  Cut out the core and carefully remove 12 leaves.
  2. In a skillet start to brown the beef.
  3. Once the beef is almost cooked through, add the sliced bacon and cured ham.
  4. Add a pinch of sea salt and 1tsp of ground nutmeg.
  5. Transfer to a bowl and add 1 beaten egg, garlic, parsley, and green olives.
  6. Fill a cabbage leaf with about a tablespoon and a half of filling.
  7. Fold two sides of the cabbage in and fold over with the top and bottom of the leaf, holding in place with a toothpick.
  8. To fry, first flour the cabbage roll, dip in beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs
  9. Fry in a cast iron skillet filled with about 1 1/2″ of hot evoo until browned on both sides.  (Pork lard can be used as well)

35 Responses to "Liadillos Sevillanos – Sevilla Style Stuffed Cabbage Rolls"

I've heard of stuffed cabbage but haven't heard of breading it. This is something that I need to try. Cabbage here are grown all year long so we always eat them every week. But I need a new recipe.I haven't tried making it a as a kimchi but looking forward to your cortido.

2. España Local Prensa says:

Fabulously fresh recipes for every season.

3. Velva says:

This is beautiful. I really enjoy stuffed cabbage but, mine is plain in comparison to what you have created. This is really quite beautiful. The idea of breading the cabbage and the serrano ham is amazing.

If you let me pull-up a chair and join you, I will bring the wine.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

4. Peggy says:

these are probably some of the most beautiful cabbage rolls I've ever seen!

5. lululu says:

last xmas during family dinner, i came across cabbage rolls the very first time, and i complete fell for it!
    however the one i've seen did not have the crisp crust that you have here.
    i believe yours is more flavourful. such a crowd-pleasing dish!

6. Paloma says:

I love cabbage! but I love it even more when it goes with ground beef! I think they taste great together! My mom used to make something very similar to this for me! But I had no clue their name was "Liadillos" Good to know :)

Thanks for sharing!

Paloma.

7. Anncoo says:

That looks very comforting and tasty.

8. Foy Update - Garden Cook Write Repeat says:

I've had a partial head of cabbage in my fridge for weeks. I'd been thinking about kimchi, but maybe I'll have to try this instead.

I can't wait to read about how you make kimchi.

9. Tasty Eats At Home says:

I've enjoyed stuffed cabbage, but never fried! This looks so scrumptious. I love cabbage. Yum!

10. Simply Life says:

Oh I've never seen cabbage stuffed like this – it looks wonderful!

11. penny aka jeroxie says:

This is new. I like this idea! I can imagine how texturally exciting this can be.

12. Claudia says:

I am loving this. I have always thought cabbage a wee bit boring but you have truly shown it doesn't need to be so.

13. Cristie says:

I love stuffed cabbage, but never considered making it. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and how-to's.

14. lostpastremembered says:

This is a great recipe… love the crisp with the cabbage. Lovely photo too!

15. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

I love cabbage, too. My mom used to make stuffed cabbage rolls, but I don't think I've ever made them… I'll have to change that…

Happy weekend! :)

16. Hummingbird Appetite says:

I love things that are filled. Those look delicious!

Oh wow Diana, this is the very first time I came across something so interesting! Deep fried stuff cabbage… Looks fantastic too. Now, this is the way I'm going to make my kids liking veggies even more.

18. Dee says:

Wow! So glad I ran across your blog. My husband lived in Bilbao Spain growing up & we love the Spanish cuisine. These cabbage rolls look wonderful. Great post! I will be returning!

19. Cook Afloat says:

You have me drooling at 9am. Next grocery run is Monday – these are on the list!
    Thank you, thank you!

20. Ruth says:

I always liked stuffed cabbage leaves, but I never had them fried! Looks amazing!!

21. Giovanna says:

Oh, these look heavenly! I must try this recipe!
    YUMMY : )

22. Juls says:

Diana, it is just delicious!
    I love cabbage!
    celtic sea salt? never heard before!
    Have a wonderful week!

23. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

This looks wonderful! I didn't realize that there were so many health benefits of cabbage. This recipe looks like a great way to enjoy it!

24. Joan Nova says:

Most stuffed cabbage rolls you see emanate from Eastern European countries and are usually sauced. This is a very unique version and based on other comments new to most readers. I really like it.

oh wow love stuffed cabbage looks amazing

26. Peanutts says:

hello :), Thats a nice way to cook with cabbage although first time hearing of it being breaded and fried.

27. Cookin' Canuck says:

Wow! The serrano ham inside of these rolls looks incredible.

28. jose manuel says:

No conocía esta receta. Tienen una pinta estupenda. Me la copio.

29. Fuji Mama says:

Before reading this post, I was really only familiar with Polish stuffed cabbage rolls, which are really different from the rolls you describe. I had never thought to bread cabbage rolls! YUM. I also love the idea of adding green olives–what fabulous flavor those must add!

I love the breading on the stuffed cabbage, this is excellent and definitely a must try!

31. Susan says:

This recipe is perfect for the sherry-tasting meal I'm planning for Friday, Diana. And it's great for winter! I'll let you know how it turns out.

32. Erica says:

This is a delicious recipe! The breading is a fantastic variation for stuffed cabbage. Gracias.

33. Arabic Bites says:

I love cabbage so much in salad or stuffed as grape leaves…
    But this recipe is new to me…I'm sure it is very delicious rolled in that gorgeous golden bread crumbs "you make me hungry here" :D

34. Marija says:

This looks so good! I think every country has it's own recipe for cabbage rolls. This one's so much different from those we make in Serbia.

35. Anonymous says:

This is similar to the ones I had as a kid in Latin America (now I know there is a definite connection to Spain). Thanks for posting.