Of course, with any soup, the difference between a good soup versus an amazing and nourishing soup is in homemade stock. When I found whole, wild snappers at Costco I knew right away that I could use the meat for this soup and the head and spines for the stock. After explaining the circle of life with my boys, we were all pretty excited to take the fish home, scale and fillet them for our meal. As my nephew Xavier said to me while eating this soup, “Nana, Nemo taste good in my belly!”
Sopita de Pescao Con Papas
For the Stock:
- 4 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 green pepper
- 3 liters cold water
- Fish heads, tails and spines from the fish
For the Soup
- 3 lbs Whole Wild Red Snapper (Or any other white fish like cod, tilapia, etc..), cleaned, scaled and fillet
- 8 – 10 potatoes, thickly sliced
- 10 cups fish stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 tbls evoo
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tbls thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of saffron threads
- sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Stock:
- Start with a sofrito. In a large dutch oven, heat 4 tbls evoo. Add the onion and saute until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, tomato and garlic and saute for an additional 15 minutes and the flavors are well incorporated.
- Add the fish parts and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes.
For the Soup:
- Transfer the stock to a large bowl.
- In the same dutch oven, heat an additional 4 tbls evoo. Add the onion and saute until transparent.
- Add the tomato and garlic and saute an additional 15 minutes.
- Add the fish stock, white wine, thyme, bay leaves, saffron, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add the potatoes and fish.
- Simmer. Once the fish has been cooked through, anywhere from 8 – 10 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Cover the dutch oven and continue to cook the potatoes until they are tender.
- Once the potatoes are done, ladle the soup and potatoes into individual bowls topping with the fish.