enchilada_sauce_roja

The key to a great Mexican enchilada is making homemade enchilada sauce.  During the summer, when tomatillo’s are in peak season, I love to make green enchilada sauce.  However, in the winter I crave a deep sauce with depth.  Frozen preserved tomatoes, chicken broth, reconstituted dried chile’s, and pork lard create a full bodied sauce.

Salsa Roja Para Enchiladas – Red Enchilada Sauce
Makes enough sauce for 12 enchilada’s

1. 3 whole tomatoes (preserved) diced, or 1 can of diced tomatoes
  2. 2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
  3. 5 garlic cloves, pressed or smashed
  4. 2 dried guajillo chile’s, stem and seeds removed
  5. 1 large dried ancho chile, stem and seeds removed
  6. 1/2 tbls dried Mexican oregano
  7. 1 tsp cumin
  8. 2 tbls farm fresh pork lard
  9. Celtic Sea Salt to taste

enchilada_sauce2
  1. In a large stock pot or dutch oven add all ingredients and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the chile’s have reconstituted.
  2. Blend all ingredients in a blender.

That’s really it!  If you have any leftover sauce save it and use over eggs for huevos rancheros or to incorporate into homemade posole.

Next up – Enchilada’s Roja!

22 Responses to Salsa Roja Para Enchiladas – Red Enchilada Sauce

1. Miranda says:

I have always wondered how to make this homemade…Diana, thank you. My husband loves the authentic Mexican Cuisine and you always have such great recipes. I can't wait to give your tamales a try.

I could imagine the taste of this sauce with the earthy dried chilies. I hope to find them here.

3. Bethany Glosser says:

I made my own red sauce last time we had enchiladas (last month??) and it was SOOOO good! Definitely the way to go. :)

mmm… your enchilada sauce looks amazing, must be super flavorful!

5. Anncoo says:

mmmm…this looks so good! Gonna bookmark this :)

6. Danielle says:

I have been looking and looking for a good flavorful red enchilada sauce recipe and I believe I just found it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

7. Arabic Bites says:

I love Mexican Cuisine so much…
      I remember I always enjoy the fried sweet puffs "sopaipillas\bunuelos" & Flautas with avocado dip….
      So I got my Mexican cookbook when I was 9 years old :D & I'll love to learn more here…
      The sauce looks so rich & I'll love to try it with egg "Yum" :)
      Looking forward to Enchilada's Roja :)

Enjoy your day…

8. lululu says:

i've made enchilada once. a traditional one with simple tomato sauce.
      I love your authentic mexican red with those chile kicks!

9. Paula - bell'alimento says:

Gorgeous foto Diana! And as always your recipes are amazing (this one no exception love the Red Enchilada Sauce!)

oh wow what a killer sauce love it

11. Anonymous says:

Hello..
      a found a great place to find nice products at cheap rate at [url=http://50off.reviewazone.com/]coupons[/url]
      Have Fun

12. Claudia Medeiros says:

Superb !!!

Have a beautiful and soooo blessed week, Diana :)

xoxoxoxo

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

I love enchiladas! Your sauce looks very flavorful!

14. Fuji Mama says:

Girl, you totally speak my language! You have me drooling here…YUM.

15. Hummingbird Appetite says:

I love enchiladas! I've used a recipe from Rick Bayless.

16. Chef Jay says:

Doing your own food at home is so much fun. You can make sure of the quality of your ingredients as well as its taste. That's why I'm doing some canning salsa recipes myself. Thanks for this post! :)

17. [...] you need to do is make a batch of salsa roja para enchiladas, warm up some corn tortillas and layer lasagna style. Easy, delicious and nourishing. It feels [...]

18. Beatriz says:

Hi Diana – I just stumbled onto your website this week. Your blog content and photography are amazing. I can’t wait to try some of your Mexican recipes. This really sounds like the perfect salsa roja for me. Thank you & God Bless you for sharing these authentic treats. Now off I go to read more of your archives!
      Beatriz recently posted..Christmas 2010

19. [...] with homemade staples including broth, ghee, yogurt, creme fraiche and many more. Making your own sauces and salsas using these staples will elevate your dishes to another [...]

20. [...] to strip off the bones for homemade enchilada’s.  The secret to a perfect enchilada is in homemade enchilada sauce!  There is a bit of a process when making homemade enchilada’s but once you start dipping [...]

21. Laura says:

I just found your blog and I absolutely love it! My daughter and I were looking through it and she said, “Mom, she’s just like you!” Question: Have you ever canned this enchilada sauce?

• Diana Bauman says:

Laura, thanks so much for stopping by! I’ve never canned this sauce but I have frozen it. Since it has broth and other ingredients, I would assume it needs to be pressure canned, and sad to say, I’ve yet to dive into pressure canning as I freeze what would otherwise need to be canned.