Mondays with Mami – Papas En Veranillo

mama3

Do those potatoes look amazing or what?!  Nope, I didn’t make them.  My mami did!  You know, I have the most amazing family in the world.  I am so blessed!  We are a family that nurtures and supports each other.  We’ve always been known as the Caraza family, the Caraza crew and it now consists of 13 people!  People often ask me, “Diana, how do you have time to do all that you do?”  Well let me tell you, if it were not for the help of my family, especially my mami and sisters, there is no way I would have the time to do half of what I do.

I often feel that is what is missing in our community today.  Families and neighbors helping each other and forming a bond to help improve the lives of their loved ones.  My mami is an incredible woman that loves her family so much.  She left her full time position and went part time in order to help my sister and I with our kids 2 days a week.  She doesn’t just see the boys 2 days a week, she literally stops by almost every day and at any time that I “need” a sitter for a couple hours or so, she is there.  If she isn’t available, my sisters are.  As you can see I have a network of support around me all the time.  On the days that I work or on weekends, we usually visit “mami’s restaurant” as my father calls it, lol!  However, on the days that my mami works I invite my folks to my home.  Did I mention that we also dine at my older sisters house?  Yeah… there is ALWAYS a home cooked meal somewhere.  This makes life so much easier and so much more fruitful.  My kids think it’s absolutely normal to be constantly surrounded by family.  This is how I was raised as well, always surrounded by cousins and family in California.  (Love you familia Caraza!!)

This past weekend we had dinner at mami’s restaurant.  I adore eating at my mami’s.  Like usual she SHINES in the kitchen and always has a beauiful array of Spanish foods waiting for us!

A beautiful Spanish style salad

mama
mama2
Here is my mami.  I just love sitting with her in the kitchen as we sip on a glass of wine and chat about family and life. She is my inspiration and she continually teaches me how to cook.
mama4
I can go on about this lovely woman.  She is content with her life, her home, and her family.  She has never been selfish and always so giving of herself and her time.  If there is ever anything I need, I never fear to go to my mami and papi.  The most caring and nurturing people that I know.  I pray that I can be the same to my children as they have been to theirs.

The papas en veranillo is such a delightful dish infused with the flavors of tomatoes, peppers and onions.  It can work beautifully as a soup or a side dish.

Papas En Veranillo

• 3lbs of potatoes, chopped
  • 3 whole tomatoes, skinned and diced
  • 3 green peppers, sliced
  • 1 large white onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. In a dutch oven, heat 3 tbls evoo.
  2. Add the onion, peppers and garlic.  Saute until the onions are transparent and not browned.
  3. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Add the potatoes and enough water to cover the potatoes.
  5. Bring to a boil then simmer until the potatoes are tender.
  6. Season to taste.

22 Responses to "Mondays with Mami – Papas En Veranillo"
  1. Ann @ Appalachian Appetites says:

I recently found your site and love it. It sounds like you have a wondful family. I moved back closer to my family for just the same reason…I want us to be involved in each other's life! And it doesn't hurt you that your mom is an amazing cook! Thanks for sharing the recipe ;-)

2. Miriam says:

I was already missing these Mondays posts! The papas look wonderful. And you're right, things are a lot easier when you have some members of your family around to lend you a hand. My mother lives nearby and that really makes a difference in my life!

wow you are lucky I miss my family sob sob

4. Belinda @zomppa says:

Yay to mami! How wonderful to share that sense of contentment…and papas…

5. jose manuel says:

Que estupenda receta. Un saludo

6. the wicked noodle says:

It all looks so delicious – I'm envious! My mom is coming to visit this Friday and I can't wait to tasted some of her home cooking :-)

7. momgateway says:

Lucky you, your mom is wonderful and an inspiration!

8. Foy Update - Garden Cook Write Repeat says:

Family is so important. After living with host families for two years in Panama, I found I really loved the way the whole family lived, worked and supported each other. Grandparents, aunts and uncles all help raise the kids.

Unfortunately we just moved away from our families so I could take a job. It's the job I always I always wanted. I just wish it was closer to home.

I'm going to miss dropping by on our family, but I hope we can find community here.

I have seriously considered talking a group of friends into communal living. We would all agree to live on the same block and have communal meals and take care of our kids together. For a long time it just sounded like a pipedream. However, the more I think about it the more I am willing to seriously consider it. I never thought I would be the type of person to form a commune, but I just might.

9. Anonymous says:

Hey Everybody,

I have been looking to figure out a good place to start with the acai free trial an was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether or not the stuff works for dieting? So far here is the one [url=http://acaiberries.zoomblog.com/]article[/url] I've been able to read online that seemed real for the goals I have. Thoughts?

10. Ruth says:

Oh my! I so love that menu. when I lived in Alicante all I ate was Tuna salad, just like that one. Just looking at it is making me miss the place and want to eat all over again right now. Hmm and the croquetas…I so love the simplicty and flavours in the potato dish. typically Spanish, Peppers, tomatoes, oil. Beutiful!
    And you are so right, ultimately, the mediterranean tradition of keeping the family alive, love and supported is something to cherish everyday!!

Your mom is a wonderful cook! Those potatoes look incredible!

12. Sweet and Savory says:

What an amazing family! It makes me wish our families lived in the same towns:(

13. Stella says:

Those potatoes look so good! I love Spanish dishes like that-so wholesome and homey. Your Mom looks nice too!

14. whatkateate says:

I love this post about your mom! So sweet! Her dishes look amazing!

15. Anonymous says:

Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you send, choice look progressive for more interrelated articles promptly as its united of my choice question to read.

16. Sanjana says:

Diana, I agree; those potatoes look amazing! And veggie, too :) Perfect. I can't wait to try the recipe out! Thank you

17. Fuji Mama says:

Beautiful post! I agree, the feeling of community and relying on each other seems to be disappearing with each passing day. What a shame! Beautiful food from a beautiful woman. That salad reminds me of one of my favorite French salads (salade nicoise)–YUM!

18. Crail Cakes says:

Im gunna need the recipe for the shrimp croquetas girly girly girl!

19. Cristie says:

What beautiful food! I loved the Spanish salad. I loved all of it.

20. Merche says:

Tienes razón con la ensalada Diana… nunca lo había pensado, pero es una "forma muy española" de comer lechuga… y tu madre en los fogones… me encanta, me recuerda a la mía :)

Diana, you're right about the salad… never though before about it, although it is a "truly Spanish" way of eating lettuce… and your mum right at the stove… reminds me of my mum :)

Besos Mercedes

Diana, this is such a wonderful dish and family bonding is what we lack these days. My sister eats almost every day and I think we do have similar culture.

You are indeed very lucky to have such a tight knit loving family. Your mom sounds awesome!