On to the recipe! First off, let me give credit where it’s due. This beautiful raw apple cranberry tart, as I call it, is a recipe I found on RAWMAZING. A beautiful site with beautiful pictures and simply amazing raw recipes. Susan actually calls it an Apple Cranberry “Cheesecake.” Me being me, I didn’t realize that this is not supposed to taste like cheesecake since it’s not made with cheese. I know, total duh moment. I actually made this tart for my church’s Valentines dinner and didn’t know what to think of it at first. First of all, it didn’t taste like cheesecake. Also, I just wasn’t sure if it was going to be sweet enough for people’s expectations of dessert. To be honest, my tastebuds are completely different now that I’ve cut out all white refined sugar. Anything that has too much sugar in it honestly blows me away. I like things more in their natural state of sweetness so when I saw this, although hesitant, I knew I wanted to make it. Apples dehydrated with honey and cashews soaked and ground to a paste with coconut oil. Seriously, what’s not to like! My older sister loved it as well so right away I knew it was share worthy! Super yummy!!
One thing I enjoy about Susan’s blog is she reminds us that although these desserts are healthy and nutrient dense, they are also calorie dense. They can spike our blood sugar level and give us way too many calories than needed. So with any kind of dessert, eat them minimally. One thing to think about as well, healthy dessert or not, too many sweets in the house will also fall down to our children and ultimately give them bad habits.
Raw Apple Cranberry Tart
(I substituted raw honey and used coconut oil instead of butter. I also added 1 tbls of arrowroot powder to the filling to make sure it would set)
- 1 cup Almonds (soaked and dehydrated)
- 6 dates
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbl coconut oil
- 1/2 cup crust
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbls arrowroot powder
- 2 hours before: Combine apples, raw honey and cinnamon. Dehydrate at 116 for 2 hours
- Make crust: Place almonds in food processor. Process until finely ground.
- Add dates, process until well mixed.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of the crust.
- Press remaining into 6″ spring form pan. (I used a 9″ and definitely recommend a 6″ if you want it to be as thick as cheesecake)
- Place crust in refrigerator.
- Make Filling: Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pat over crust and return to refrigerator.
- Finish Topping: Combine dehydrated apples, dried cranberries, coconut oil and 1/3 cup crust.
- Press over top of tart.
- Return to refrigerator and chill for 2 hours before serving.
- Slice with a sharp knife.