Asparagus and Chorizo
My heart sings for the first asparagus of the season.  My farmers market still hasn’t started and I don’t yet have an asparagus patch but I couldn’t wait.  I found organic asparagus on sale and was sold!  Asparagus can be made so many different ways but one thing is almost a consensus, to be done right it needs extra virgin olive oil!  Check out my facebook fan page for about 19 other ways to make seasonal asparagus.  Here are a few of my favorites from all of you!!  Thanks facebook fans for sharing!!

Alie – steamed with homemade hollandaise sauce

Paula Vitchkoski Jones from Bellalimento – Baked in a paper bag w/lemon & lots of garlic ;)
Linda – Tossed with olive oil, sea salt and orange zest and roasted at high heat in the oven for about 6 min!
Brook – Steamed then tossed with olive oil and lavender pepper from the farmers market.
Therese Asmus from Artistta – Tossed in olive oil with salt and either cooked under a broiler in the oven or on the grill. Yum!
Hope – brush with olive oil and favorite seasonings and grill it! YUM!

As you can tell, evoo has it!  It’s really no surprise. Beautiful flavors are created when you use olive oil and it’s so versatile as you can use any seasoning for a completely different taste.  Whether you steam, broil or grill asparagus is delicate and if done right has a gentle crunch when you bite.

What is so cool about asparagus is that it’s a perennial and literally has no leaves.  What you see is exactly how it grows from the ground.  A patch takes about 3 years to come in and lasts for many more.  So if you establish a nice asparagus patch you’ll be enjoying it the first part of Spring for many years.  Check out a picture of this overgrown asparagus I took at the community garden last year!
Asparagus is a rich source of folate and potassium.  According to Worlds Healthiest Foods, Asparagus benefits our gut flora!
Asparagus contains a special kind of carbohydrate called inulin that we don’t digest, but the health-promoting friendly bacteria in our large intestine, such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli, do. When our diet contains good amounts of inulin, the growth and activity of these friendly bacteria increase. And when populations of health-promoting bacteria are large, it is much more difficult for unfriendly bacteria to gain a foothold in our intestinal tract.

Make sure to take advantage of the delicious recipes and health benefits of eating asparagus this season!

Espárrago Con Chorizo – Asparagus with Spanish Chorizo Sausage

• 1 bunch of asparagus, cut in half
  • 2 small links, Palacios Spanish Chorizo Sausage, sliced
  • EVOO
  • Large Granule Sea Salt to sprinkle

1. In a cast iron skillet warm 2 – 3 tbl of EVOO.
  2. When the oil is heated through, add the asparagus and brown on both sides until tender
  3. Add the chorizo sausage and mix in allowing it’s flavors to incorporate for about 5 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately.

Other recipes of interest: Tortilla Española con Espárrago – Spanish Tortilla with Asparagus

Don’t forget about my fat book giveaway! One more week to enter for your very own copy signed by the author!!!

35 Responses to Espárrago Con Chorizo – Asparagus with Spanish Chorizo Sausage

1. FOODalogue says:

Everything tastes better with chorizo!

That picture of the overgrown asparagus is so neat! I can't wait to see how your asparagus plant works out.

3. Ladyberd says:

Just two nights ago at dinner my husband said chorizo is the best sausage ever. We love asparagus too so I'll have to give this one a try soon! thanks for sharing

4. jose manuel says:

Estupenda receta

I love your pairing of asparagus and chorizo – these are two of my daughter's new favorite things!

6. Mjosé says:

Nunca se me hubiera ocurrido.
    Muy buena idea.

7. Belinda @zomppa says:

Love the multiple ways, but this is a perfect combination. Loving asparagus.

8. Kelli says:

Diana,
    I'm heading out to my Moms this weekend and plan on digging up some naturalized asparagus so if you want some let me know. A lot of the old farms in the area are abandoned so it's just sitting there.

9. Ruth says:

Anything with Chorizo always tastes delicious to me! Great idea, excellent contrast of flavours!!

10. Cajun Chef Ryan says:

I like this combination and I bet the spicy sausage is great with the asparagus!

Bon appetite!
    CCR
    =:~)

11. Paula - bell'alimento says:

This looks amazing Diana! We love asparagus and can NOT have too many ways to try it! Thanks for including my link in your round up too! Mwah!

great recipe and love the idea to get suggestions from facebook Rebecca

13. Stella says:

Hi Diana, I do my asparagus with olive oil too. I want an asparagus patch! Apparently, it is sort of a major undertaking and then waiting process…

14. Cookin' Canuck says:

This is such an original asparagus recipe. As luck would have it, I have some chorizo sitting in my fridge and I was wondering what to do with it. How did you know?

15. Winnie says:

So wierd…I had pretty much this exact dish for lunch! I was testing out a Catalan asparagus and chorizo recipe…it was delicious…I topped it with a poached egg ;)

16. gaelle@whatareyoufeedingyourkidsthesedays.com says:

This is a very mouthwatering combination. I have been trying to find good Chorizo in Philadelphia because my husband and I like it a lot… and I want my children to taste it soon! Thanks for the recipe!

17. Chef Dennis says:

my girls love asparagus…you've given me some great new ways to prepare it.

I absolutely love asparagus and it's one of my favorite vegetables. I will try it with chorizo next time.

19. penny aka jeroxie says:

All the asparagus love going around. I have to wait till next season now

Thank you so much everyone! I'm really glad to hear that people seem to be interested in this recipe. Super easy and it does taste so good!

21. Penny says:

I found your blog thru Christine's. The New York Times just posted a recipe for asparagus in parchment paper with prosciutto. I love your point of view.

22. Bellini Valli says:

I wait all year long for early Spring and asparagus season.

23. Drick says:

nothing finer than tender shoots of asparagus and with chorizo – wow

24. Noelle says:

Great post! Asparagus is a diuretic and very healthy. I can;t get enough and you prepared it in such a fun way!

25. Christy says:

We love asparagus fried in butter with onions and salt and pepper. A little sprinkle of sugar gives it that extra yum but is optional. I am going to be trying your recipe.

26. angela@spinachtiger says:

The simple recipes with the freshest ingredients are always the very best. Nicely done.

27. Cristina @TeenieCakes says:

Delicious looking dish, the saltiness from the chorizo paired with the complimentary asparagus. I totally agree about olive oil, it's so versatile. Interesting info about the asparagus – 3 years!

28. Tasty Eats At Home says:

I heart asparagus! Definitely need to get around to planting some. I enjoy it steamed with a touch of olive oil and lemon zest. Spring in a mouthful. Love your idea of using chorizo.

29. Fuji Mama says:

I always look forward to asparagus season!! I LOVE chorizo but had never though of pairing it with asparagus. Now I'm thinking, "Duh!" That picture is absolutely STUNNING, btw.

30. brian says:

Que bueno Diana! That really looks delicious. I also look forward to asparagus at this time of the year. I made the first lot recently with secreto Iberico. It's on my blog if you fancy having a look. Love your site.
    Brian in Gibraltar

31. Deborah Dowd says:

Chorizo and asparagus- it sounds like an amazing combination!

32. Erica says:

I love asparagus and chorizo! This sounds perfect, Diana! I am going to make it with Colombian chorizo.

33. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

alright! another great recipe with chorizo! plus i looove asparagus! :)

34. Vava says:

thanks for the suggestion, had both asparagus and (vegan) chorizo in my fridge, and they made a great combo!