Strawberries and rhubarb go great together and what can add to that but fresh cream! A great added bonus about using fresh or whole un-homogenized milk is that the cream naturally separates from the milk. Whenever I need some fresh cream, all I do is skim some from the top of our milk. It tastes great, is convenient and saves us $ from having to go out and buy cream that is usually UHT (ultra high temperature). Since my berries were picked ripe they were sweet so I only had to add about a tablespoon of organic coconut palm sugar. (I have a post coming up about the wonderful people at Sweet Tree Sustainable Sweeteners) I used pureed strawberries to naturally sweeten and hint with it’s flavor. The rhubarb shined and a splash of cream, topped with strawberries, made this baked oatmeal a special seasonal breakfast.
Baked Strawberry Cream and Rhubarb Oatmeal
- 1 cup of steel cut oatmeal
- 3/4 cup fresh whole milk, or yogurt.
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
- 1 1/2 – 2 stalks rhubarb, diced
- 1 tbls butter
- 1 tbls organic coconut palm sugar or more to taste (sub rapadura or raw honey)
- 1 farm fresh egg
- sliced strawberries
- Soak the oatmeal in a baking dish overnight in 3/4 cup milk or yogurt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In the same dish, add the pureed strawberries, rhubarb, butter, coconut palm sugar, a beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with coconut palm sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve into dishes, splashed with fresh cream and topped with sliced strawberries. Mix it all together for the kids