wrapped_beet_tops
Greens, I just can’t get enough of them.  I get captivated at the farmers market by the beautiful colors and depths of green at each stand.  Some of my favorite greens are beet tops.

wrapped_beets2
The crimson veins bursting through green are nothing short of life, blood… creation.  Conceptually, it’s one of the most beautiful vegetables I’ve seen and nutritionally, it’s one of the most nutrient dense vegetables.

Beet tops are very high in vitamin a.  As most greens, they also contain vitamins c, e, and k.  They also contain calcium, fiber, folate and other minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Beet tops are also a good source of protein.  As you can see, a power house full of nutrients!  The bonus of shopping at your farmers market is that you will be able to purchase the beets with their tops.

For this recipe, I wanted to use the tops in a way that I could appreciate their taste and texture.  I decided to use them in a wrap and inspired by Indian cuisine, I filled them with onions caramelized in garam masala and homemade ghee.  I also added homemade yogurt to the wrap for a sweet and tangy addition.  To finish the wraps, I baked them with additional rendered ghee that infused the leaves with a nuttiness.  Topped with browned milk solids, these wraps were to please.  Mild greens with a sweet and creamy center.

Beet Top Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Yogurt
Makes about 8 wraps

• 1 bunch beet tops (reserve beets for a different use)
  • 1 onion sliced
  • homemade yogurt (or regular plain yogurt)
  • homemade ghee (or store bought)
  • 1 tsp garam masala (Garam Masala is a combination of spices including coriander, black pepper, cumin, cardamom and cinnamon.)
  • Browned milk solids from making homemade ghee to garnish (optional)

1. In a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed pan, heat 3 tablespoons of ghee.  Add the onions and garam masala.  Saute until caramelized and browned on all sides of the onion.

Caramelized onions about half way done.
    wrapped_beets4

2. Once the onions are caramelized, separate beet tops from the beets.  Wash, dry and lay them out side by side or how you see fit until you have the size of about a 6″ x 6″ square.

wrapped_beets5

3. To the center of each wrap, add 2 tablespoons each of caramelized onions and yogurt.  fold over the left and right sides and roll.

wrapped_beets3

4. Place in a baking dish.  Pour 1/2 cup of melted ghee over the wraps and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
  5. Garnish with browned milk solids.

15 Responses to Beet Top Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Yogurt

1. Foy Update - Garden Cook Write Repeat says:

I miss good a good farmer's market. One would think Indiana being large swaths of corn and soybean like Iowa would have them. So far I have been very disapointed in Valparaiso's market and the nearby Chesterton market is nice, but it is mostly stuff and not produce. I'll have to look around some more. I miss the paposka's (is that how they are spelled) from DSM market. I miss the blocks of produce sold by the little Korean Lady and the bearded plaid wearing mushroom grower.

I thought Indiana would be like Iowa. It's not.

Anyways, I love beet greens. Just saute them with a little olive oil and garlic. Yum. My favorite beet is the bull's blood. The color is out of this world. http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=610 And the flavor is not far behind.

2. Kelli says:

These look yummy! I wish I could get Matt to eat something like this but he'd rather go hungry, and if he won't eat it, my son won't either. Thbbt!

I do have a question for you, do you fry squash blossoms?

~Kelli @ Smidgens

p.s. Your boys are even cuter in person!

That's a gorgeous thing, Diana! Beets are one of my favorite things…the whole beet, greens & root!! What a lovely idea to use them as wraps, I'll have to try that! These sound very delicious!

4. Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal says:

Diana, that is such a delicious and innovative wrap. Wonderful idea, I will surely try it out :)

5. Kelly says:

Gorgeous. I love that you use something that someone else might just throw away.

6. CC Recipe says:

These wraps look interesting, thanks for sharing!

7. Belinda @zomppa says:

What do the tops taste like? Never had. Love that you are using your ghee.

8. steve says:

I've never thought of using the leaves like this. What a great idea for something most people chuck.

9. penny aka jeroxie says:

I have never eaten beets greens before. It is great to use the whole vegetable.

10. ejm says:

I love beet greens too. So much that we often have a surplus of beets because I'm such a sucker for those stunning leaves… I almost always stir-fry beet greens with fennel & mustard seeds, caramelized onions and a tiny bit of cider vinegar to hold the colour (sometimes I add garam masala too, sometimes not).

Like you, I adore them. What a great idea to make these little rolls.

-Elizabeth

11. momgateway says:

thanks for recipe…it's a new way for me to try beet greens…the addition of masala is so interesting…makes me want to try it soon

12. Noelle says:

Looks good!

13. sanyukta gour says:

ahhhhhhhhhhh daina,bookmarking this dish….so unique and gorgeous looking rolls…love beet greens….lovely n tempting pics…drooooling

14. cakeinthegarden says:

This looks fabulous. Oooh, and I want to try it with goat cheese. Mmmmmmm!

15. Natasha says:

Great idea! Can't wait to try.