With extra bags of lettuce, I walked next door to give Don and Judy some of the harvest when she shared with me her mothers recipe for wilted lettuce. It was actually quite funny because she told me that she had a wonderful recipe for me, however, it contained bacon fat so it might not be good for me. I laughed and said, “Judy, if it contains pork fat, I want the recipe.” She laughed! She gave me the easiest and most delicious recipe for a bacon fat dressing poured over fresh harvested lettuce. The lettuce wilts a bit with the heat of the dressing. Hence the name, wilted lettuce. After a quick search online for wilted lettuce, I found other similar recipes. However, since Judy gave me the recipe with her mothers handwriting, I’d like to give credit to Edith North.
Fresh Garden Salad with Bacon Fat Dressing (Wilted Lettuce)
(Adapted) By Edith North
- Leaf Lettuce
- Green Onions
- 4 strips farm fresh bacon
- 2-3 tbls raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard (optional)
- 1-2 tsp raw honey
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 farm fresh hard boiled eggs
- Wash, drain and heap lettuce into a large bowl
- Add chopped green onions
- In a cast iron skillet or pan, fry the bacon until crisp and can crumble. Set aside
- To the bacon fat in the skillet or pan, add vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and stir
- Add crumbled bacon and pour hot over lettuce
- Toss, slice eggs over top and serve
This post is a part of the new Real Food Carnival… Two for Tuesdays!