Fresh Garden Salad with Bacon Fat Dressing

Fresh Garden Salad with Bacon Fat Dressing
Fresh lettuce from the garden is something we have had in abundance.  Much more than my family can eat that I was able to share a couple bags of my harvest with my next door neighbor.  My next door neighbors have become friends of ours and the boys enjoy spending time with them.  Don and Judy are retired but quite the busy bees.  You can usually find Don working on his house and yard or his elderly neighbors house to the South.  Judy maintains their home, cooks and makes sure to take her daily walks a few times a day.  They are great neighbors and always vigilant of the neighborhood.

With extra bags of lettuce, I walked next door to give Don and Judy some of the harvest when she shared with me her mothers recipe for wilted lettuce.  It was actually quite funny because she told me that she had a wonderful recipe for me, however, it contained bacon fat so it might not be good for me.  I laughed and said, “Judy, if it contains pork fat, I want the recipe.”  She laughed!  She gave me the easiest and most delicious recipe for a bacon fat dressing poured over fresh harvested lettuce.  The lettuce wilts a bit with the heat of the dressing.  Hence the name, wilted lettuce.  After a quick search online for wilted lettuce, I found other similar recipes.  However, since Judy gave me the recipe with her mothers handwriting, I’d like to give credit to Edith North.

Fresh Garden Salad with Bacon Fat Dressing (Wilted Lettuce)
(Adapted) By Edith North

• Leaf Lettuce
  • Green Onions
  • 4 strips farm fresh bacon
  • 2-3 tbls raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp mustard (optional)
  • 1-2 tsp raw honey
  • salt and pepper
  • 1-2 farm fresh hard boiled eggs

1. Wash, drain and heap lettuce into a large bowl
  2. Add chopped green onions
  3. In a cast iron skillet or pan, fry the bacon until crisp and can crumble.  Set aside
  4. To the bacon fat in the skillet or pan, add vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
  5. Bring to a boil and stir
  6. Add crumbled bacon and pour hot over lettuce
  7. Toss, slice eggs over top and serve

24TbadgeGIRLICHEF

This post is a part of the new Real Food Carnival… Two for Tuesdays!

22 Responses to "Fresh Garden Salad with Bacon Fat Dressing"
  1. Miranda says:

Wonderful recipe and story, Dianna!!

2. Belinda @zomppa says:

You had me at bacon. =)

3. juliecache says:

i grew up in a german household. vinegar was the main flavor for many things, including wilted leaf lettuce. love it. didn't use honey or mustard, tho. i like to use spinach with my leaf lettuce.

4. Mother Rimmy says:

Who wouldn't love this salad? Bacon is a definite winner!

5. Kelli says:

One of Matt's favorite recipes for a summer salad! I've never added mustard or honey to it either! Will try that tonight!

~Kelli @ Smidgens

6. Cinda says:

Bacon is a winner in any recipe at our house! Great idea!!

7. Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) says:

ahhhhhhhhhh…awesome salad full of flavors..love adding honey to my salads as well….lovely click

8. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

I love how you and your neighbor shared! Fresh produce for a recipe is a wonderful trade! Great salad!

9. dina says:

This is nearly identical to the recipe that I have from my great-grandma. I *love* this salad. I've used all sorts of greens for it, and it's never, ever bad! Thanks for sharing!

10. Drick says:

very much similar to a recipe we use down here, we love it . nothing better than bacon on crisp salad greens…

This is beautiful, Diana!! I really hope my Farmer's market has some gorgeous lettuce this week so I can recreate it! Thanks so much for sharing it at Two for Tuesdays this week =)…

An amazing fresh salad and the dressing is awesome!

13. eonyc says:

Bacon really does make everything even better! This sounds amazingly scrumptious.

14. brian_in_gib says:

que bueno diana! Can´t beat a not-so-healthy salad when summer comes. I do a similar version, mostly just with garlic: http://www.mymediterraneandiet.net/2010/05/simple-little-gem-salad-with-garlic.html
    saludos desde gibraltar,
    b

15. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

mmmm, bacon fat. i will eat a salad if it contains bacon fat! ;) make sure your neighbors are getting their healthy fats, too!

16. Cook with Madin says:

Lovely recipe. I have some bacon fat, because I'm planning to make some Beef Chili. I may use the fat for this Salad recipe for now. You're fortunate to have wonderful neighbors.

17. Bethany says:

Oh, I love this recipe and I think my husband will love it even more! Thanks for joining our Two for Tuesday blog hop! I look forward to exploring your blog more.

18. Alex@amoderatelife says:

Diana! Thanks so much for participating in the Two for Tuesday recipe blog hop and I hope to see you again next week. If i can make anything with bacon fat I am doing it! This looks delicious and the idea of making a salad dressing with something other than olive oil is spectacular! Keep it REAL..Alex

Thanks everyone for the comments!

This really was a winner, so loving these country recipes ;D

20. juliecache says:

just shared this with my in-law's for an early father's day meal. everyone LOVED it. there's just something about bacon.

21. Denise @ Creative Kitchen says:

I remember having this while growing up….so GOOD! I've really enjoyed reading about your trip to Spain..thanks for sharing!!

22. Gwen Roach says:

Love it. I really do hope you keep posting great recipes like this. I’ve tried your lard and mayo and they’re fantastic. I love the Spain-influenced nourishing food on here. We just processed our first pork and I thought to look to you for some ideas :)