- 1 bag great northern beans.
- 8 pieces thick farm fresh bacon (save the rendered fat)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 tbls ground mustard
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1/4 – cup molasses
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- water to cover
- Soak bean the night before
- The next day, fry the bacon until barely browned on both sides and the fat has begun to render.
- Cut the bacon into 2″ pieces.
- In a large cast iron dutch oven or pot add all the ingredients including the port fat from the bacon. Add water to about 1″ above the beans.
- Place a lid on your dutch oven or pot and bake at 325f for 8 hours. Make sure to check the beans every couple of hours and stir.
- For the last hour, uncover the lid. This will allow the beans to thicken up!
If you are heading off to work, this can be done in a crock pot set on low for 8 hours. However, reduce the amount of water to just cover the beans.
That’s it! Buen Provecho!!
This post is a part of Real Food Wednesday’s hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop.