bananasplit

Yes, my boys have been working on their letters this week and blueberries, boys and banana splits definitely starts with the letter B.  You know what starts with the letter C?  Cancer.  I taught my boys about cancer this week by explaining that it’s a disease that makes you really sick.  We even spoke of my Abuela, Mama Isabel, and how she is now with Jesus because she got sick with cancer.  As difficult as this was to explain to my children I did let them know that we were not to worry about cancer and that by eating nourishing foods, getting lots of exercise and sleep, Jesus would take care of us!  Now that’s encouragement!

So why am I writing about all of this?  The fab people at Foodbuzz put out a call to support the Ovarian Cancer Research fund by creating a banana split.  Support ovarian cancer by creating a banana split… huh?  I know sounds wierd, but here’s how it works.  Kelly Ripa and Electrolux have partnered with the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.  For every banana split that is created on Kelly Confidential, $1 is donated to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund!  Very similar to the cake experience I had in New York this past February.  Since I was a part of that and most all of us have had cancer effect us somehow in our lives, I knew I wanted to be a part of this.  Foodbuzz will select 9 posts to be featured on Monday’s Top 9 as well as donate $50 for every post that is created to support this cause.  So this is my way of helping fight cancer!
Making banana splits are FUN!  The kids love it and in ours, we went full circle!  We’ve gathered our own strawberries this past May and yesterday we went blueberry picking to sprinkle on our splits.
IMG_5539
The banana splits my family had in mind are wholesome and nourishing!  That’s right, homemade ice cream and whipped cream!
homemade
We started by making Marilyn’s honey almond dream ice-cream.  My goodness, was this amazing!  Made with fresh whole milk and sweetened with raw honey.
IMG_5562
Our homemade whipped-cream was SO GOOD and also naturally sweetened with raw honey and a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.  There is nothing like homemade whipped cream!  I’ll be sharing my naturally sweetened recipe in a later post ;)  After making our key elements, I mashed some frozen strawberries from my garden and set it out with banana’s and blueberries for the boys to create their own banana splits.
boys
Yummy, sweet and so good for you!  I think this day was a success.
nehe
chevi
zekie
So what is A for?  Ayuda!  That means help in Spanish.  Remember that by making one virtual banana split, Electrolux will donate $1 to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.  Come on everyone, let’s do our part and go enjoy a banana split!

This post is a part of Two for Tuesdays hosted by me :D  (So exciting!)

19 Responses to Electrolux #splits: B is for Blueberries, Boys and Banana Splits

1. Belinda @zomppa says:

Your boys are so adorable. What a beautiful split. And what a great mom you are for teaching them the ABCs and helping others in need.

2. Cristina says:

I enjoyed that you got your family involved in the banana split project and your post around it for such an important cause. Very nicely done and fantastic looking dessert!

3. pegasuslegend says:

the kids are gorgeous the split looks awesome!

I am sooooo there! Your banana splits look delicious…and fun ;)

5. momgateway says:

…so precious…how fun for them to make their own banana splits…great combination of flavors too

6. Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal says:

The boys are super cute, handsome :)

wow looks amazing your family look so so cute

Rebecca

8. the clark clan says:

Besos Diana! Oh what LOVELY pictures of your little men! My aunty went to heaven for the same reason, so will tweet this for you and check out the program! HUGS! Oh, and the naner split looks delicious! :) alex

9. juliecache says:

Looks very yummy and i love that you're working phonics into your every day life.

10. Christy says:

What a beautiful and delicious way to promote cancer research. I so want to come and have a bowl of your split – do you think it would mail??

11. Erica says:

Beautiful cause,Diana!!!!Your kids are beautiful and the banana split looks delicious.

12. Paula - bell'alimento says:

Love your split Diana! The boys are adorable as always! It is indeed a great cause!

13. Bonnie says:

You could market those lovely children. They are the perfect models. And the banana split? Well, not as cute as those boys but it does look awfully tasty and beautiful.

14. Bethany says:

What a fun way to support a cause. And what a yummy banana split! It looks and sounds wonderful. And your boys are adorable. Thanks for sharing this at Two for Tuesdays!

15. Kim says:

This sounds like the tastiest way to support a great cause! Your boys are absolutely adorable. I love that you sweetened your whipped cream with honey…I definitely want to try that. Looks terrific!

16. Butterpoweredbike says:

So hard to explain cancer to little ones without scaring them. This has me thinking of a dear friend I lost to cancer in April. When he was very sick, he would say that he had lived a good life, done everything he wanted, but he still had plenty of eating that he wanted to do.

So glad to have you join in hosting T4T.

17. Butterpoweredbike says:

So glad to have you join in hosting T4T.

Homemade ice cream with raw honey sounds amazing!

19. the clark clan says:

Diana, I already left you a comment on this post and recipe above, but I too wanted to welcome you to hosting the two for tuesday recipe blog hop and so glad to have your aboard! :) alex@amoderatelife