Regardless of why it’s called what it’s called, there is nothing that screams summer more than a fresh Mexican style salsa using the ripest tomatoes from your garden or farmers market. My family uses this more as relish to top on tacos de carne asada (recipe coming soon!), on enchiladas, steak or chicken. Usually spiced with jalapenos, a variety of chili’s can be used to highten the heat to your liking. This is a great and easy salsa to make that will keep in the fridge for a week or so… if it lasts that long!
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes (not too soft)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeno diced (to lessen the heat, remove the seeds)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon (lime can also be used)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients, yeah… that easy!