pico_de_gallo
That’s right… roosters beak!  Pico de gallo literally translates to roosters beak.  Although no one is quite sure why this fresh summer salsa is called that, some believe it’s because it used to be eaten with the hands.  Picked by the thumb and fore finger it visually appeared to look like a rooster pecking for food.

Regardless of why it’s called what it’s called, there is nothing that screams summer more than a fresh Mexican style salsa using the ripest tomatoes from your garden or farmers market.  My family uses this more as relish to top on tacos de carne asada (recipe coming soon!), on enchiladas, steak or chicken.  Usually spiced with jalapenos, a variety of chili’s can be used to highten the heat to your liking.  This is a great and easy salsa to make that will keep in the fridge for a week or so… if it lasts that long!

Pico de Gallo

• 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes (not too soft)
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 white onion diced
  • 1/2 – 1 jalapeno diced (to lessen the heat, remove the seeds)
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon (lime can also be used)
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Method

1. Combine all ingredients, yeah… that easy!

This post is a part of Real Food Wednesdays and Simple Lives Thursday.

16 Responses to Pico de Gallo – Roosters Beak Fresh From the Garden

1. jose manuel says:

Que interesante receta. Se ve deliciosa. Saludos

2. Pam says:

It looks delicious! I'm new here and so glad to have found your great blog!

3. Giovanna says:

I love pico! I usually have some in the fridge just as a side dish, I've even used it on tortilla chips when I run out of salsa.

4. Belinda @zomppa says:

Never even thought about meaning of pico de gallo…great fresh meal any time!

5. stephchows says:

mmm looks so fresh and delicious! and i'm so excited you are in for the jam exchange!! more details to come :)

One of my favorite uses for fresh summer tomatoes…I swear, I can eat it by the gallon w/ some homemade tortillas/chips. mmmm. Looks fabulous =)

7. knownbyname says:

….and using this amazing, fresh, mouthwatering luciousness, toss together a little guacamole! All it needs is a mashed avocado and a dash of lime juice, maybe a dash of kosher salt. I could *live* on pico de gallo and guacamole!

Yummy!

Beautiful, Diana!

8. Patty says:

Thank you for the fresh salsa recipe! It does seem very straight forward, but I have always been a little bit intimidated by the process. However, you have given me a new found sense of courage! Delicioso!

9. Torviewtoronto says:

Simple and delicious

I love fresh salsas, especially in the summer and especially when the veggies come from your garden. This looks like a great mix.

11. Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS says:

That look so fresh and delicious, Diana! I love the history behind it too, even if no one is really sure about it. So interesting!

12. Lara Alexander says:

This looks so good. If the sun will stay out, here in the Pacific NW, then I will be able to make this from my garden (except for the lemon). My cilantro is being difficult though. Thanks!

13. eonyc says:

I love putting this on everything–from salads to eggs to just on its own as a side dish! Yum.

14. Mr Monkey says:

Hi – I am new follower from the blog hop, hope to see become one of mine soon also.Thanks
    Mr Monkey

15. Mizzreviewlady says:

i am your newest follower from blog hop. please visit my blog and follow me back when you get a chance, thanks! http://mizzreviewlady-mommyreviews.blogspot.com/

16. […] Pico de Gallo Southwest Chicken Salad Spicy Avocado Cilantro Dipping […]