Stuffed Beets
This has to be my new favorite way of enjoying fresh from the garden beets!  Boiling beets until they are sweet and tender and filling them with a salad blend of onions, cilantro, eggs, oil and red-wine vinegar.  They make a great summer appetizer or side!  Another great way to use beets in the season of summer.

Stuffed Beets
Recipe adapted from 1,080 Recipes

• 4 cooked beets
  • 2 hard boiled farm fresh eggs
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Rinse the beets and put them whole in a pan of cold water.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 1 hour or until the beets are tender.
  2. Once the beets are tender, remove them from the water and let them cool a few minutes.  Their skins should slip off.

stuffed_beets2

3. Peel the beets.
  4. Cut a small slice on the bottom of each beet so they will stand.
  5. Hollow out the centers, taking care not to break the “shells.”
  6. Dice the scooped out flesh and set aside.
  7. Scoop the yolks out of the hard boiled eggs and set aside.
  8. Finely chop the whites.
  9. Combine the diced beet, egg whites, onion and cilantro in a bowl.
  10. Whisk together the vinegar and oil in another bowl, stir in the egg yolks, and season with salt and pepper, then pour over the beet mixture.
  11. Fill the beet “shell’s” with the mixture and season to taste.
  12. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Buen Provecho!!

18 Responses to Stuffed Beets – Remolachas Rellenas

1. jose manuel says:

Que ricas, nunca he probado las remolachas rellenas, pero se ven interesantes. Saludos

2. Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) says:

looks gorgeous…anything with beet looks presentable with the natural color…but this appetizer is amazing….healthy n nutritious…sure wil try this

3. brian says:

Que bueno Diana! Nunca las habia probado pero me encantan las remolachas asi que esta receta la tendre pendiente en la lista de comidas a probar.
    Saludos desde Gib,
    brian

4. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

mmm, beets are delicious. i need to eat more of them, so thanks for a great recipe! :)

5. Kelli says:

Hola, Diana!
    I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now. I love beets and intend to try this recipe! Wish I could make them like my Colombian mother-in-law but her directions are always too vague. Anyway, just wondering if you save the water that you boiled them in for anything by any chance?

Thanks everyone for the comments :D

Kelli, thanks for stopping by :D I have saved my beet water before to add to soups or stews that I'm making. I have seen some wonderful recipes using the water to add to homemade pasta or bread. I still haven't done this but have wanted to give it a try. I'm sure there are other uses for it as it has so many nutrients. One thing to take a look at is fermented Beet Kvass. A super house of nutrients which can serve to detox your body as well. I should have a post on this soon :D Thanks again for stopping by :D

7. danazia says:

Oh, I just LOVE beets and am always looking for new ways to fix them. This will be the next up on the beet menu! Thanks for the idea!

8. maybelle's mom says:

it looks lovely. and, this made me think i might try making beet samosas–i don't know what the connection is but that is the first thing i thought of.

9. Jun Belen says:

Wonderful post. I love beets! Red beets, particularly. I love them roasted or grilled. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'll definitely put it on my to-cook-list!

10. Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking says:

Garden fresh beets.. I'm so jealous! I used to get them all the time while I was living in San Francisco but it is hard to find right now where I'm living in Sweden. It looks lovely!

11. dokuzuncubulut says:

Simple and healthy…
    Thks for the great recipe…

This looks like a fab and filling tapa.

13. We Are Not Martha says:

These look splendid! I just made beets for my very first time the other day and now I want to do a million things with them! Just added another to the list :)

Sues

14. gaelle@whatareyoufeedingyourkidsthesedays.com says:

Beets are a staple of our family too. I am just jealous you get yours in your garden!! If you have very fresh ones, you could shred them like shredded carrots for a a coleslaw as well. It's delicious.

15. whisk-kid says:

Yummy! I have some beets in the kitchen that I've been trying to figure out how to use and this looks like just the thing!

16. I’m going to have to try something like that. Yum!!!

17. Roasted whole, the skins will slip off, then cool, dice, salt and pepper to taste. Add a little of your favorite vinaigrette (or just olive oil and vinegar) and little chunks of goat cheese and garnish with cilantro. Serve chilled with salad greens.