Recipe adapted from 1,080 Recipes
- 4 cooked beets
- 2 hard boiled farm fresh eggs
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the beets and put them whole in a pan of cold water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 1 hour or until the beets are tender.
- Once the beets are tender, remove them from the water and let them cool a few minutes. Their skins should slip off.
- Peel the beets.
- Cut a small slice on the bottom of each beet so they will stand.
- Hollow out the centers, taking care not to break the “shells.”
- Dice the scooped out flesh and set aside.
- Scoop the yolks out of the hard boiled eggs and set aside.
- Finely chop the whites.
- Combine the diced beet, egg whites, onion and cilantro in a bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar and oil in another bowl, stir in the egg yolks, and season with salt and pepper, then pour over the beet mixture.
- Fill the beet “shell’s” with the mixture and season to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.