stuffed_squash_blossoms6
I have been waiting patiently this year to try my hands at stuffed squash blossoms.  Year after year I have been growing different varieties of zucchini and have always enjoyed their beautiful bell shaped blossoms that open up early in the morning waiting to be pollinated.

stuffed_squash_blossoms3
Over the past couple of years I have been seeing them for sale at the Des Moines farmers market and filled and fried in a variety of ways all throughout the blogosphere.  Unbeknownst to me, stuffed squash blossoms have been used traditionally for years in Italian and Hispanic cultures.  Nutritionally, they are very high in vitamin a, c, calcium and iron.  I found this information interesting for a flower that goes unnoticed by so many gardeners every year.

I was waiting patiently to start picking my flowers from my zucchini plants, however, with all of the rain that we’ve had, two of my plants died and my only surviving plant is bearing small flowers and fruit.  I was really excited though that my baby sister Lisa, who is turning into quite the organic gardener herself, offered me all the picks I wanted from her plants.  (I’m so proud of my girl!  She’s taking off!  Future sister csa in the future… hmm?!)

lisa
So I went at it and picked enough blossoms to make a fried dish.  I tend to pick only the flowers that are attached to fruit that are already bearing.  That way I do not have to worry if the flower is a male or female and prevent it from being pollinated.  However, if you have enough squash growing, by all means, go at them!

photo

In order to keep with the seasons I decided to make a sweet and nourishing dessert.  I stuffed my squash blossoms with a homemade yogurt cream cheese and cantaloupe mixture spiced with cinnamon and sweetened with local raw honey.

stuffed_squash_blossom2
An easy, delicious and nourishing after dinner treat.
stuffed_squash_blossom5

Sweetened Cream Cheese and Cantaloupe Stuffed Squash Blossoms

• 6-8 squash blossoms
  • 1 cup whole wheat or unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 farm fresh egg, mixed
  • 1 cup cream cheese, preferably homemade
  • 1/2 cup cantaloupe, diced
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup local raw honey
  • extra virgin olive oil

1. In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, cantaloupe and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon until well incorporated.
  2. Stuff the squash blossoms with the cheese mixture.
  3. Prepare the squash blossoms for frying by coating them first with the egg and then the flour.
  4. In a pan, heat about 1/2″ of extra virgin olive oil.
  5. Fry the squash blossom on each side until browned.
  6. In a cast iron skillet add the honey and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.  Mix through.
  7. Once the honey comes to a boil, take off the heat and drizzle over the squash blossoms.

18 Responses to Sweetened Cream Cheese and Cantaloupe Stuffed Squash Blossoms

1. jose manuel says:

Delicioso

Saludos

2. Christy says:

I so want to try this – I need a place to harvest the blossoms. Yum! You are gifted!

3. City Share says:

Wow those look fabulous. We're not big on cantalope in our house, so I would substitute another summer fruit.

I think this is the first sweet version of fried squash blossoms recipe I've encountered. It looks so good! What a great sis to share this summer's bounty!

5. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

wow, those look incredible! i like that you made them into a sweet dish instead of the more common savory. your sister's garden also looks like it's doing very well!

6. Torviewtoronto says:

lovely stuffing looks delicious

7. Cristie says:

What a wonderful post on stuffing squash blossoms! I've wanted to make these, but not had the know-how to do it. Thank you :)

8. Belinda @zomppa says:

Go sister! How DO you come up with these? What fascinating and complex flavors. But looks so light and delightful.

9. Norma says:

Just came across your blog and love it and became a subscriber.

Norma

10. City Share says:

Just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog: http://nycshare.blogspot.com/2010/08/cherry-on-top-award_25.html.

Always love reading your posts.

11. penny aka jeroxie says:

How lush! Great sister! I want a garden like that too!

Thanks everyone!

13. meganmerseth says:

Do you think I could use any fruit instead of the cantaloupe? I just don't have a canteloupe on hand right now, but I'd love to make this right away because I have the blossoms and the cream cheese…

Hi Megan :D I'm sure it would taste delicious with a different fruit. I would try something that's not too tart. Peaches maybe? YUMM that would be good!! You just want to try and balance the flavors between the honey and fruit. So as not to overpower one or the other. Let me know how they turn out or post a pic to the Spain in Iowa facebook fan page. I would love to share it :D

15. Debbie says:

congrats on top 9 – well deserved –
    from farm to table as they say…

unique idea…

16. Chef Dennis says:

great use of squash blossoms!!! we all know how much I love using them!

17. Meghan@travelwinedine says:

I have never seen sweet squash blossom filling! How delicious and unique!

18. meganmerseth says:

Diana, I ended up substituting rehydrated raisins because that's what I had on hand… it turned out really well! My husband was skeptical, but wondered if I was going to make it again since we have so many squash blossoms. ;-) I just substituted an equal amount for the cantaloupe, and i poured a little boiling water over them, just enough to barely cover. I drained off the liquid, but if I made it again, I'd reserve the liquid. In your original recipe with cantaloupe, it is naturally a juicy fruit, and I found that I needed the extra moisture of the raisin water in my variation. Sorry I didn't get any pictures… my attempt at the recipe, as well as any pictures I take, would not do the recipe justice.