Braised Short Ribs Simmered in Pinot Noir and Homemade Beef Broth

Braised Short Ribs
Now that the Fall is approaching and evenings are bringing a chill, braised beef short ribs were on the top of my list.  Grass fed beef that is seared in bacon fat and olive oil and then simmered low and slow in homemade beef broth and aged Pinot Noir.  What I love about braising short ribs is that they are very forgiving.  It’s not difficult to add a bit of this and a bit of that and still end up with delicious fall off the bone tender beef.  It’s fun to experiment and as my next side of beef arrives in December, I’ll want to try another braise with a sauce that is Asian inspired.

For this dish, it would pair well with mashed garlic potatoes, a simple green salad and a nice glass of vino tinto (red wine).  This is a simple meal that you can easily prepare at home and will leave everyone craving for more.

Braised Short Rib Simmered in Pinot Noir and Homemade Beef Broth
Serves 4

1. 4 beef short ribs (ask for 3 bone center cut)
  2. 6 pieces of bacon, diced
  3. 1/3 cup diced carrots
  4. 1 cup diced onions
  5. 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  6. 2 sprigs rosemary (or 1 tbls dried)
  7. 2 bay leaves
  8. 3 cups dry red wine
  9. 4 cups beef broth (preferably homemade)
  10. extra virgin olive oil
  11. cracked fresh pepper
  12. celtic sea salt

1. Remove the meat from the refrigerator and bring them to room temperature.
  2. Season the short ribs with cracked fresh pepper and salt.
  3. In a cast iron dutch oven or large pan, brown the bacon until the fat is rendered and the pieces of bacon are brown and crumbly.
  4. Remove the bacon pieces and add a 1/4 cup of olive oil.
  5. Over high heat, add the short ribs two at a time and sear until brown on all 3 sides.  Make sure to brown well… no short cuts here!!
  6. Once the ribs have been browned, remove and set aside.
  7. Lower the heat and add the carrots, onions, bay leaves and 2 sprigs of thyme.  Cook them, moving around the pan or dutch oven for about 5-8 minutes.
  8. Add the wine, bring the heat back up to high and reduce by half.
  9. Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
  10. Add the beef short ribs and arrange in the dutch oven or large pan, bones up.
  11. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon bits.
  12. Add 4 sprigs of thyme, rosemary, salt to taste and a good amount of fresh ground pepper.
  13. Turn the heat off, cover tightly with aluminum foil or a tight fitting lid.
  14. Transfer to the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
  15. Lower the oven temperature to 325 and bake for 1 hour more.
  16. The meat is done when you can stick a fork into it and feel it peel away.
  17. Once done, remove the ribs from the dutch oven or large pan.  If the sauce is not thick enough at this point, bring it back to a boil on the stove top over high heat and reduce it until it’s thick enough to your liking.
  18. To serve, place the ribs on a plate over garlic mashed potatoes with the sauce poured on top.

A meal that definitely takes some time to prepare but worth every inch of preparation!

Buen Provecho!!

14 Responses to "Braised Short Ribs Simmered in Pinot Noir and Homemade Beef Broth"
  1. Belinda @zomppa says:

Welcome, fall! This is the way to welcome it properly.

2. Mely (mimk) says:

Wow! That is a great recipe for this kind of water and I am sure my husband will love it.

3. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I LOVE short ribs and yours look incredible! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

4. penny aka jeroxie says:

That looks awesome! the meat all falling off the bone.

5. Heather@myeverydaygraces says:

Gorgeous! I haven't even had breakfast yet, but I am ready for dinner:) And living in a premiere Pinot Noir region I can think of many wines that would be perfect with this dish… thanks for the inspiration!

6. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

this is the perfect winter comfort food! it looks so tender and delicious with all those wonderful flavors. yum!

7. Julie says:

Mmm! Braising is probably my favorite way to cook… I just wrote up a braised chicken with pears myself. Short ribs are wonderful, but we usually save them for holidays for some reason. :)

8. Sarah Faith says:

I actually have some grass fed short ribs in the freezer… i think i'll sear them in the pan as you suggest and then slow cook them in the crock pot! Never thought of braising in wine. Will try.

9. Susi says:

This looks incredible and comforting! The perfect meal for fall :o)

These short ribs sound so succulent and delicious, braised in pinot, yum!

11. Jamie Dougherty says:

I have short ribs in my freezer and have been waiting to find the perfect recipe. I think I just did! Thanks so much. These looks delicious.

12. Christy says:

I love short ribs – I have never cooked them in wine – these sound lip smacking good!

13. Alicia R. Ambler says:

ok I thought the first time I'd try short ribs would be Korean style, but these look soooooo good. Thanks for the idea Diana! And cheers to another successful week! :D

14. Diane@Peaceful Acres says:

WOW, those look absolutely delicious!!! I'm always at a loss at what to do with my short ribs. Now I know!