Sourdough Tomato and Basil Crackers with Pecorino Romano Cheese

sourdough_tomato_crackers
Homemade crackers are becoming a favorite snack in our home.  They are easy to make and keep well.  It’s great to give your family a nourishing snack void of preservatives and artificial ingredients.  Prepackaged crackers at the grocery store generally have a long list of ingredients that are best avoided.  My inspiration for these crackers came from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship.  She shared her sourdough recipe as part of the GNOWFGLINS sourdough e-course.

One of the many benefits of making sourdough bread recipes is that it increases nutritive value by breaking down phytates by 62%.  Phytates, naturally present in whole grains act as enzyme inhibitors.  It’s these enzyme inhibitors that keep the grain from sprouting until the right conditions are present.  The grain naturally binds it’s minerals waiting for the optimal condition or germination of the seed to nourish the growing plant.

When the lactic acid fermentation in sourdough begins, it dissolves these mineral blocking phytates and allows our bodies to absorb zinc, iron, magnesium, copper and phosphorous.  Other added benefits of sourdough is that the fermentation process allows the bread to be more easily digestible and breaks down gluten which may counteract gluten intolerance.  In my opinion sourdough followed by sprouting are THE most nutritious ways of preparing your grains.

Reading how forgiving homemade sourdough crackers were to make, I decided to go all out and came up with a delightful recipe using freshly pureed tomato from my garden in the base.  This gave it a wonderful tomato flavor complemented by basil and freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese.  A vibrant cracker suited for adults and loved by my kids.

Sourdough Tomato and Basil Crackers with Pecorino Romano Cheese

• 3/4 cup sourdough starter (This can be discared old starter)
  • 1/2 cup pureed tomato
  • 1/4 cup farm fresh pork lard
  • 1 tbl dried basil
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese (or parmagianno)
  • 6 oz whole wheat pastry flour (soft white wheat), adding 1 tbls of flour more at a time to make a stiff dough
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • extra virgin olive oil for brushing
  • coarse sea salt for sprinkling

sourdough_crackers1
  1. In a large bowl combine the sourdough starter, pureed tomato, pork lard, dried basil, pecorino romano cheese and 6oz whole wheat pastry flour.  Combine until mixed and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
  2. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead adding 1 tbls of flour at a time until stiff.
  3. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 7 hours. (I started my dough in the morning and baked in the evening)
  4. Before prepping to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  5. Taking 1/4 cup of the dough, roll it out onto parchment paper until thin.
  6. Brush the dough with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
  7. Using a pizza cutter or knife cut the dough into cracker shapes, horizontally and vertically.

sourdoughcrackers2

8. Transfer the crackers on the parchment paper to a baking pan or stone and bake for 15-20 minutes or until just golden brown.

sourdoughcrackers1

9. Repeat in batches.

16 Responses to "Sourdough Tomato and Basil Crackers with Pecorino Romano Cheese"
  1. Miriam says:

They look fantastic!!

2. Belinda @zomppa says:

I never thought to make these crackers – love the combination!

3. Beth says:

Those crackers look terrific. I don't know why I've never thought to make homemade crackers — great idea!

These crackers look so good and a lot easier to make than I expected.

5. Subhashini says:

perfect one

6. michelangelo in the kitchen says:

These crackers are the ones I was looking for! They are great! Thank you!!!

wow how amazing do these look heres a hug for you great to have you as a blogging friend your quite inspiring yourself you know love Rebecca

8. Sandra says:

Dave and I love home made crackers and they aren't any trouble to make. Sometimes, I'll make cheese to go with them and that's what we have for a meal – cheese and crackers – simply wonderful!

9. Sandra says:

Sorry, I forgot…I'm visiting via Peaceful Acres, my neighbor to the south.

10. Kelli says:

If I can't get fresh lard, do you think coconut oil would work?

11. Michelle says:

Dairy free & wheat free… modifying with rye sourdough starter, whole spelt flour, v-8 juice, olive oil, and a scant 1/2 tsp salt (since there’s no salt from the cheese). Kind of a modified v-8 cracker from here: http://www.garvick.com/recipesmm/cracker_recipes.htm

wish me luck!

12. Jen says:

Hi Diana,
    Just curious about how many crackers does this make? What would be the best way to store these? Thanks so much.
    Jen

• Diana Bauman says:

I fill about a couple quart bags full. It keeps well on the counter :D

• Jennifer says:

Thanks, I made them the other day. I gave some to my mom and my kids gobbled up the rest so I didn’t have to store them for long, but they stayed nice and crispy in a zip lock bag. I was thinking of making them again later this week, do you think I could use barm as my starter, I made some barm the other day so I can make a sourdough miche, would the barm work just as well?
        Thanks Jen