Estrellita Sopita – A Mexican soup for colds and flu

estrellita_soup
Growing up, whenever my sisters and I fell ill, my mami always made us one of two different soups to nourish our bodies and warm us up.  A Mexican Estrellita Sopita with pasta and eggs or a Spanish Sopita de Arroz made with rice and mint.  Both soups are incredibly satisfying and nourishing as they are made with homemade bone broth.  The Mexican version is made with chicken stock and the Spanish version with the stock from a puchero.  (I’ll share the Sopita de Arroz soon ;)
Since it’s definitely the season of colds and flu, I wanted to share my family’s recipe for Mexican Estrellita Sopita since it’s the one that I always crave when I’m sick and congested.  A simple recipe with only four ingredients.  Mineral rich chicken broth, pastured free range eggs, Mexican estrella pasta and celtic sea salt.
It’s especially light on the stomach and sure to warm any adult or child.  I love serving this soup piping hot as the steam from the broth is sure to clear up your congestion.

Estrellita Sopita – A Mexican soup for colds and flu
-Serves 4

estrellitas_spoonful

• 8 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
  • 1 package estrella pasta (this can be found in the Mexican aisle of your grocery store or at any Mexican grocer)
  • 2 free range eggs per person
  • celtic sea salt to taste
1. Defrost Chicken Stock
stock_defrosting
2. In a large dutch oven or pot bring 8 cups of chicken stock to a boil.
3. Once the stock is boiling, add 1 handful of estrella pasta per person to the stock.
estrellitas
4. Boil the pasta for 13 minutes.  Add salt to taste.
5. When there are about 4 minutes remaining for the pasta to finish, add the eggs one a time to the boiling stock to poach.  (If a family member does not like poached eggs… add the eggs in earlier to cook the yolks through)
estrellitas_simmering
6. When the 13 minutes are complete, distribute the eggs into individual bowls and top them with pasta and broth.
estrellitas_poachedegg
I hope this soup finds you satisfying and nourishing during this cold and flu season.

10 Responses to "Estrellita Sopita – A Mexican soup for colds and flu"
  1. Belinda @zomppa says:

This looks so comforting, I may have it for lunch (to stave off any colds!)

2. Brie: Le Grand Fromage says:

mmm, so simple, yet so healthy and delicious. i think i need to make a big pot and enjoy just to be extra sure no germs are lurking around. hope everyone is feeling better!

3. Mexico in my kitchen says:

Que rica sopita aguada! And with that broth any soup must taste divine.
    In Mexico we call those soups "watery soups-sopas aguadas" :)

You are such a great cook.
    Besos guapa!

4. Gigi Berardi says:

Thank you! This is a wonderful recipe! I will circulate the link…best, Gigi

5. garlutti says:

Una sopa mexicana!!, nunca la he probado pero tiene que estar muy rica.
    Muchas gracias por tu comentario en mi blog.
    * _Π_____*。*˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •˛
    •˚ */______/ \。˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •˛
    • ˚ | 田田 |門| ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛
    ♬ ♪ ♫ ♭ FELIZ AÑO 2011 para ti y los tuyos… !!!! ♬ ♪Un abrazo Marimi

6. Hummingbird Appetite says:

I definitely need another soup to help me fight colds!

7. Raven says:

Looks divine and perfectly simple. Maybe even easy enough to cook for myself when I'm sick and don't feel like cooking at all. I can't wait to try it out.

8. cocinadiary says:

We have a similar soup in Puerto Rico and my mom used to make it for us when we were sick. Now, I want some! :-) Angie

9. dana says:

wow this looks great..i really love it..
    Happy new year!!

10. Sick or not, that looks delicious!

When the ingredients are good, simple can be pretty hard to beat…