One of my favorite fish to eat and one that is used in many Spanish and Mediterranean dishes is cod, bacalao.
So often, I speak about sustainability when it comes to raising animals on the land, however, I’ve recently started learning more about sustainability of our oceans. The depletion and extinction of many sea life as we overfish certain “popular” species such as Bluefin Tuna, Red Snapper and Atlantic Cod.
When it comes to cod, we have overfished them so much in the Atlantic that we have almost driven them to extinction. I’m currently working on a post specifically on the sustainability of our oceans and different methods of fishing. Until then, if you’re buying cod make sure it’s wild caught from the Pacific.
For this particular meal, I was excited to find wild caught Pacific Cod which I know my kids enjoy. In order to make use of cabbage I stored from last years harvest I decided to boil it down and mix it in a homemade Spanish tomato sauce. This is a very simple, light and nourishing meal to make.
Steamed Cod with Cabbage in a Spanish Tomato Sauce and Fried Potatoes
- 3-4 large tomatoes skinned and diced (I used frozen from last years harvest) or 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 green cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 Pacific Cod fillets cut in portion sizes
- 3 potatoes sliced
- Celtic Sea Salt
- Crushed Pepper
1. In a large pan or cast iron skillet heat 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent. Add the diced tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. While the sauce is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil.
4. Add the sliced cabbage to the pot of boiling water with a 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover, reduce the heat and boil for 15 minutes or until soft.
5. While the sauce is simmering and the cabbage is boiling, heat 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a second pan or cast iron skillet. Add enough sliced potatoes to cover the bottom of the pan. (You’ll be frying your sliced potatoes in batches)
6. This is what my stovetop looks like at this point.
7. The tomato sauce is done once it has reduced enough that you can pull away the sauce from the bottom of the pan.
8. Once the tomato sauce has reduced, add the cod on top of the tomato sauce. Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes.
9. Once the cod has cooked through, remove from the tomato sauce and set aside.
10. Add the boiled cabbage to the tomato sauce and combine well.
11. Finish frying your potato slices making sure to salt after each batch.
12. Plate. Serve the steamed cod over a bed of boiled cabbage in the Spanish tomato sauce with a side of fried potatoes. Season with crushed pepper.