pan_con_tomate

With the extreme heat and humidity we’ve been seeing in Iowa, I’ve been dreaming of the cooler temperatures on the beaches of Southern Spain.

To feel the salty air on a brisk summer morning.

To bathe in the clean and gentle waters of the Mediterranean.

And, of course, to enjoy Spain’s finest tapitas while sitting outside with a friend over a cold Cruzcampo beer.

One of my favorite things about being in Spain is visiting the plazas (food market) early in the morning.  Especially the plaza in San Lucar de Barrameda.

As you walk into the opening street, vendors selling a myriad of freshly brined olives and vegetables line the entryway.

olive_man

Immediately to your right is a small bar in which we always stop to enjoy a fresh cafe con leche and pan con tomate y jamón.

Extra virgin olive oil sits on the table ready to be drizzled over the crisp morning toast.

The first crunch leading to a chewy soft interior is anything but magnificent. Savory by the cured jamón serrano yet sweetened by the finest and freshest summer tomatoes.

Completely satisfying and a cinch to make at home.

Pan con Tomate y Jamón, Toasted Bread with Tomato, Cured Serrano Ham and Drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil

With only a few ingredients, you can enjoy this simple, seasonal, summer fare at your home.

• Serrano Ham
  • 1 very fresh, ripe tomato
  • 1 toasted baguette or Mexican bolillo
  • 1 garlic clove, cut in half
  • extra virgin olive oil for drizzling on top

1. This recipe starts with a small toasted baguette or Mexican bolillo, a soft and ripe summer tomato, garlic and jamón serrano.

ingredients

Although jamón serrano looks similar to the Italian prosciutto, it’s very different.  A jamón serrano is cured significantly longer than prosciutto with a deeper flavor and less salt.

For this recipe I used a Redondo Iglesias Jamón Serrano from the Spanish online store, Raposos Gourmet and Tapas.

2. Rub a sliced garlic clove on the toast.

ajo

3. With one half of a ripe tomato, smear it on the toast to release it’s juices.

tomate

4. Top with jamon serrano and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

pan_con_tomate2

That’s really it!  Super easy and something I’m sure you’ll make again and again.

This was a sponsored post by Raposos Gourmet & Tapas.

Raposos Gourmet & Tapas, More Gourmet, More Savings!
Our main mission is to provide Authentic Spanish Gourmet at incredible prices to all of our customers. We specialize in premium brands and authentic cuisine from Spain. In order to provide you with the best quality and prices, we work closely with all of our importers and suppliers. We are committed to excellent customer service and 100%
customer satisfaction.  In order to meet the needs of our customers we also sell our products directly on Amazon.com.  There you will see how our customers are thrilled and satisfied with our products and customer service.

We invite you to stop by and also check out our current list of specials on sale.  Currently, the Redondo Iglesias Jamon Serrano is on special.

22 Responses to Pan con Tomate y Jamón, Toasted Bread with Tomato and Cured Serrano Ham

1. Joan Nova says:

Super easy…and super delicioso!

2. If the bread, tomato and ham are premium quality… there’s really nothing better than this…

3. Adora's Box says:

The first time I had this in Spain I was so amazed at how delicious something so simple can be. Amazing!

4. JuratBernard says:

thanks for the website for the jamon! we’ve been ordering from LaTienda.com for years. nice to have another option!

5. Stacey Lynn says:

my absolute fav breakfast food!!!! i have it everyday!!!!

6. Stephonie says:

Oh, I’m so glad that you posted this!! I am in the mood for a party and was debating between a fortune cookie party or a tapas party.

7. I love Spain! One of my favorite places in the world. And I love all the little plazas and mercados. Soooo much fun. And tapas. Well, forget about it! Love tapas! This is such a simple preparation but filled with oomph and love! Now, I need to find me some serrano ham somewhere nearby. Actually, I’m not quite sure where to get some.

• Marlene McCain says:

you can get your ham from Raposos Gourmet..order on line…delivered to your door! just what you need for this delicacy!

8. IAMSNWFLAKE says:

¡Qué rico! … quiero un par!

9. DeedlesDish says:

Love the blog! As a foodie from Iowa with my own blog, I love fellow Iowans showing off our culinary prowess! Can’t wait to read more!

10. It has been a horrible summer in Iowa! The weather is unbearable! This looks tasty though! I could eat a few slices of this!

11. Ana Maria says:

Hola Diana, I really like the picture of the olives and also like the tapas idea for this hot summer (wish I love!)
    I don’t know how far you’re from Omaha, but maybe you’ll like to know that there is a restaurant name Espan~a that probably you will enjoy and feel at home :)
    Tapas y tinto de verano, salud!

12. One of my favorite spreads for sandwich is to rub them with garlic, it takes a sandwich from meh to wow!

13. Ladyberd says:

Looks amazing and one of my all time favorites to make at home! gorgeous photos.
    Ladyberd recently posted..Steamed Lobster in Gingered Lime and Scallion Broth with Baby Bok Choy

14. [...] Con Tomate Y Jamón (A Little Bit Of Spain In Iowa) AKPC_IDS += "26258,"; /* Support For Earth Eats Comes From [...]

15. Hello friends:

Delicious !!! I agree with you about the differences between de jamon serrano and the prosciutto. I use a white fatty ham obtained from the hindlimb of duroc pork, characterized by its marbling infiltrated tissues. Its color is pinkish and its flavor is intense. I really love this kind of ham !!!
    Thanks