chamomile_honey_infusing

There is nothing better than pure, local, raw honey.

I buy it by the 25 gallon bucket every year.  It sounds like a lot but that’s in weight and we use it in baking, cooking, sauces, marinades, dressings, and medicinally.

I’ll be writing a post soon specifically about raw honey including its healing properties and culinary uses. It’s amazing what natures nectar can do.

With all of the chamomile that I’ve been harvesting from my garden and drying, I decided to make my first herbal honey.

An infusion of chamomile and the sweetest raw honey I have ever had.

It’s sure to calm, relax, soothe the sorest throat or relieve an upset stomach.

This is a winning combination that also works beautifully drizzled over morning toast or in a variety of other culinary uses.

It tastes so delicate and sweet that my son and I have been enjoying eating it raw by the spoonful. (We’ll have to stop doing that!)

Chamomile Infused Raw Honey

chamomile_honey

This method is using freshly picked chamomile flowers.

1. Fill a half pint jar halfway with freshly picked chamomile leaves, clean of any bugs.

2. Top with honey, mix and swirl to release any air bubbles.  You’ll notice the honey level drops after mixing.  Add more honey to fill.

3. Put it in a place where you will see it everyday as you’ll need to turn the jar over at least once a day so that the flowers continually move through the honey.

Allow to sit for at least two weeks to infuse the chamomile flavor and its oil into the honey. (I allowed mine to infuse for two months)

4. Once the honey is infused, strain the honey in order to remove and separate the honey from the flowers.

straining

My honey ended up getting some crystalization.  In order to thin the honey, I emptied my half pint of honey into a sauce pan and warmed it up on the stove top for 30 seconds or so.  This allowed me to easily strain the honey.

*tip… After receiving Kami McBride’s, the Herbal Kitchen, she explains that she makes herbal honey by using dried herbs which she pulverizes and then adds to the honey.  The herbs then stay in the honey and there is no need to strain.  I’m going to use this method the next time.

I’ll never be without an herbal honey again.

21 Responses to Chamomile Infused Raw Honey

1. Emiko says:

Sounds absolutely beautiful, can’t wait to try this. Love that first shot from above.

2. Shannon Nodell Lobough says:

That sounds so yummy!

3. cami says:

I’ve not heard of herbal honey before. I’m so intrigued and anxious to try it. I have organic dried chamomile flowers that I plan on using. If using dried flowers, can they only be in pulverized state? And is the ratio the same as if you used fresh flowers? Thank you! :)

• Diana Bauman says:

Hi cami! According to Kami McBride, use 1/2 cup of dried herbs to 1 cup of honey.

Pretty much the same ratio I used with the fresh flowers.

You can still use the dried herbs without pulverizing. Use 1/2 cup of chamomile flowers to 1 cup of honey. Infuse then strain.

If you’re going to pulverize the flowers… in the blender, pulverize 1/2 cup of flowers to 1 cup of honey. Infuse.. no need to strain.

Hope that helps!

4. Hi Diana, I just found your website and can’t wait to explore it. I love Spanish food!
    The idea of infusing honey is new to me. I have to try it, do you think it would work with lemon? Maybe with peels? I love the top photo!

5. Noelle says:

Sounds really perfect for colds and for anything else. Lovely!

6. Susie says:

Sounds wonderful. I love using honey.

7. This sounds so amazing! I wish I could find some raw honey!

8. YUMMMM!! Never thought to try that. Will have to do that after our trip :o)

9. What a great idea. I have to start buying it in large quantities. We’re buying a kg every other month. It sure would make more sense to do it that way.

10. I love local honey and this is such a wonderful idea, this looks beautiful! thanks for sharing!

11. Lori Lynn says:

Hi Diana – it sounds heavenly. Glad I read the entire post, I wasn’t sure what I was looking at in the lead pic. Your photos are dreamy, as always.
    LL

12. What a BRILLIANT idea – can’t wait to spread that on my morning toast!
    Caitlyn Smith @ urbanzenvillage recently posted..Choc Chip Cookies Made With Coconut Flour

13. [...] this month Diana at A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa (a great blog by the way!) posted about a Chamomile Infused Honey that she had made.  It [...]

14. carrie says:

i bet lavender or herbal tea would be good too!

15. Nathalie says:

Hi! My parents are beekeepers and we make a dozen of herbal honeys, the more popular ones being lavender, ginger, mint and roses. I never thought of making it with chamomile though. It’s sounds delicious!

If you make infused honeys with different plants, remember that a longer infusion is not always better. For most plants it’s good since you get a stronger taste, but for some plants you lose some flavors after a while. This is particularly true with ‘flavoured’ plants such as chocolate mint or lemon verbena. After a couple of weeks we lost the lemon flavor since it was overpowered by the verbena taste. Taste as you go to find the right amount of time for each plant.
    Nathalie recently posted..Honey Zucchini Bread

16. [...] You can infuse raw honey with just about any herb or edible flower you like simply by covering clean, dry plant matter with the honey and letting it sit for at least two weeks. Chamomile pairs especially well with the honey’s natural flavor, and it’s a relaxing addition to tea. Get the recipe at My Humble Kitchen. [...]

17. [...] la preparazione di un miele aromatico è necessario semplicemente mescolare al miele dei fiori essiccati commestibili e curativi, come i [...]