One of my favorite uses for extra virgin olive oil is to make homemade vinaigrette’s.
Usually, a simple aliño made of extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and salt.
In my family we eat a salad nearly every day so I decided to come up with something a little bit different using seasonal ingredients.
For this salad I decided to use fennel. The large bulbous root in the image above.
The more I learn about fennel, the more excited I get to grow it this year in my garden. (Yes, it’s the time of year that I have dirt and growing on my mind
It’s a delightful herb with a wonderful aroma of anise (black licorice). The bulb is usually eaten raw in salads or chopped and cooked like a root vegetable. The greens can be used as aromatic garnishes to top dishes of all kinds.
Fennel also has medicinal qualities to aid in digestion, soothe colic in babies and has been a long time remedy for coughs.
It’s been fun experimenting with fennel and lent itself beautifully to this salad alongside cooked beets, blood oranges for a touch of sweetness, and red onions for a peppery bite.
To top it off I made a citrus vinaigrette made up of freshly squeezed orange juice and infused with red onions and fennel.
Beet, Fennel, and Blood Orange Salad in a Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 large or 2 small red beets, boiled and sliced
- one blood orange, peeled and segmented
- shaved fennel from the bulb
- red onion, thinly sliced
- fennel leaves to garnish
For the Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh fennel leaves
1. On a plate arrange 4-5 slices of freshly boiled beets that have been cooled.
2. Top with shaved fennel, sliced red onions and blood oranges.
3. Top with citrus vinaigrette and garnish with fennel leaves.
For the Vinaigrette:
Mix all ingredients in a dressing or mason jar. Allow to meld flavors in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before using.
Simple… Seasonal… Fresh.
For the Giveaway!
Star Fine Foods has agreed to giveaway one bottle of their new line of California Extra Virgin Olive Oil with a Tote Bag!
I’m excited to give my readers an opportunity to try out Star’s new domestic line of EVOO!!
So what do you have to do? It’s simple!
- Like Star Fine Foods on Facebook and share the giveaway on your wall. (Please leave a comment that you liked Star Fine Foods on Facebook)
This giveaway ends on Monday, February 6th. The winning entry will be selected by random.org.
This post is sponsored by Star Fine Foods and their new line of California Extra Virgin Olive Oil.