Has this been one hot summer or what? Although it’s been pretty sticky around here, the extreme temperatures have been kind to my hot summer vegetables.
My eggplants, zuchinni, pepper, and tomato plants are thriving and the best part is being able to use them in quick summer meals.
Easy meals that highlight the flavors in the vegetables.
Yes, it’s that time of year again where my husband has to gently remind me that we’re not vegetarians. What can I say – I love my veg.
In trying to keep our house cool and use up the harvest, I decided to make a quick summer sandwich on my cast iron grill pan.
I grilled eggplant and yellow squash.
I added cheese and roasted red peppers I preserved last season.
Then I smothered it with smashed avocado.
This grilled Mediterranean sandwich tastes of summer and its flavors are highlighted by the roasted red peppers and mashed avocado.
Doesn’t avocado make everything better?
We eat them every week and my boys especially love it when I make guacamole to dip homemade taquitos. A recipe my boys absolutely love.
As they should since they pretty much grew up on avocado’s. I fed it to them as a first baby food.
When they were ready to start solids, I simply mashed up the avocado until it was fine with a fork. They loved it and what I enjoyed about it was that it was so easy to take with me anywhere I went and mash it up for them.
Simple, nourishing, real baby food for on the go.
When my boys saw that this Mediterranean sandwich had mashed avocado, they loved it.
A quick summer Mediterranean sandwich smothered in mashed avocado.
- 1 eggplant, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow squash or zucchini, sliced thinly
- Roasted red peppers
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, mashed
- sourdough loaf, sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a dishcloth. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Brush eggplant and zucchini slices with olive oil and grill on both sides until softened. Set aside.
- Brush two bread slices with extra virgin olive oil on one side. Place them oil side down on grill pan.
- On one side top with eggplant, zuchinni, cheese, and roasted red peppers.
- Once the cheese has softened and begun to melt; top with mashed avocado and the second bread slice.
- Remove from grill pan and serve.
If you’re making more than a couple of sandwiches, to keep them warm, let them rest in your oven at it’s lowest setting. (150-180) .
For more delicious recipes prepared with avocados please visit:
Disclosure: This is a compensated post in participation of the Avocados from Mexico campaign with Latina Bloggers Connect. However, all opinions, recipes and photos posted are my own.