Lentejas. Lentil Stew. A favorite in my household. Of course, it has to have Spanish chorizo sausage.
During the Fall and Winter, I like to add whatever squash and root vegetables I have on hand.
Since this meal is on my menu for the week, I decided to pull this recipe that I posted on foodie.com last year.
This week I’ll add pumpkin and carrots. Sweet and savory.. perfect for Fall.
A nourishing lentil stew that’s both sweet and savory highlighted by the traditional spices of Spanish chorizo sausage.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 quarts water
- 1 package, small links, Spanish chorizo sausage sliced in rounds
- 1 whole tomato
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for five minutes. Add the carrots and pumpkin. Mix together, lower the heat to low, cover and sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the vegetables and add the lentils, 1 whole tomato, Spanish chorizo sausage, 2 quarts water, 2 bay leaves, Spanish paprika and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once the contents have come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables have softened.
Serve with a side salad and crusty bread.