We’ve been running through a bout of sickness at my home. Late nights and natural care at home can wear on somebody.
There have been many nights that I have been exhausted. Almost to tired to cook.
However, it’s in these days that making homemade soups with broth is important to help aid our bodies in healing.
Especially, for the little ones.
So, in the midst of exhaustion, I made a simple potato soup with homemade chicken broth.
Many potato soups include cheese and bacon, and I enjoy that heartier version.
This one; however, is simple. Made of root vegetables including potatoes, parsnips, and carrots. Paired with a bit of cream and chicken stock.
It was comforting and paired well with my homemade, no knead, sourdough bread. A recipe I’ll be sharing soon.
A simple, potato soup with root vegetables that's easy to make.
- 5 medium sized potatoes, chopped
- 2 parsnips, sliced into 1/2" coins (optional)
- 2 carrots, sliced into 1/2" coins
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pints chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cream
- In a dutch oven, gradually bring 3 tbls extra virgin olive oil to heat.
- Add the onion, and saute until it just begins to turn transparent. 3-5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and celery. Saute for 5-8 minutes, constantly mixing while the flavors begin to incorporate.
- Add two pints of chicken broth (1 quart or 4 cups). The broth should just cover the vegetables. If the broth doesn't, add some water to cover the vegetables.
- Add the bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Mix through.
- Bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Once the vegetables are tender, remove 1 cup of vegetables and set aside.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- With an immersion blender or in a blender, puree the vegetables with broth until smooth.
- If you used a blender, put the puree back into the dutch oven and return to medium heat.
- Add 1 cup cream and the vegetables that were set aside. Mix through and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Chicken and Noodles
This potato soup made a wonderful leftover meal of chicken and noodles as well.
To make it, I combined a pint and a half (3 cups) of the potato soup, half of this homemade noodle recipe, and boiled chicken.
Super easy and comforting.
Do you have a simple soup recipe to share? I’d love to know what you find nourishing on those days that you just don’t feel well.