A Healthier Fudge For The Holidays

A Healthier Fudge for the Holidays (gluten free) | myhumblekitchen.com

Written by Halle of Whole Lifestyle Nutrition

I just LOVE fudge.  What I don’t love is all the refined sugars that is in most fudge recipes so I set out to make a delicious fudge that uses an unrefined sweetener to replace the sugar.  Oh my goodness, these turned out amazing.

The star ingredient in this recipe is coconut butter.  Have you ever made coconut butter before?  It is super easy to make.  Coconut butter/cream is dehydrated coconut, preferably freshly dehydrated coconut flakes, that is put into the food processor/vita mix and blended to form a liquid cream.   If you haven’t made some yet, you are in for a real treat.

Earlier in the year I did a how to video for making coconut butter:  How To Make Organic Coconut Butter.  I drizzle it on just about anything. Some of my favorite ways to use coconut butter are my organic coconut bark/cookies recipe and now this great fudge recipe.

The other key ingredient is raw honey.  Raw honey has so many amazing health benefits.   Raw honey is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal substance and has been used for thousand of years for medical uses and in food preparation.

Substituting processed sugar, artificial sweeteners and other forms of sweeteners with raw honey can often times be a much healthier alternative.  Here is a article, Recipes, Tips & Benefits Of Using Raw Honey, explaining the health benefits of raw honey and how to substitute raw honey into your recipes.

Here is a quick video showing you how easy it is to make this fudge.  This fudge only takes 15 minutes to make and tastes amazing.  Happy holidays everyone.

How To Make Healthier Fudge For The Holidays

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 15 pieces

How To Make Healthier Fudge For The Holidays

Here is a naturally sweetened fudge for the holidays that isn't loaded with sugar! Delicious!

• 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter/almond butter (optional)

1. Place the coconut into a high powered food processor.
  2. Blend on high for 5-10 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides every few minutes.
  3. When the mixture becomes runny you will then have coconut butter (see video above this recipe).
  4. Remove coconut butter from food processor and place it into a medium bowl. Add all the remaining other ingredients and mix well.
  5. Press fudge into a small dish lined with parchment paper.
  6. Place in freezer for 10 minutes, remove and cut into 15 small pieces.

What are some of your favorite healthier holiday treats?

21 Responses to "A Healthier Fudge For The Holidays"
  1. Wendy says:

I want to make this recipe tomorrow. I would like to now how well this holds up? Does the fudge need to be kept in the freezer, fridge, or maybe even room temp? I’ve had fudge melt at room temp so I don’t know why I’m asking but thanks for any answers you have for me.

2. Barb Pelz says:

I love chocolate and am an avid user of coconut oil. Have not made my own coconut butter yet, but I am looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks!!

3. Hazel says:

This looks great! I have never even thought to make coconut butter, sound interesting!

4. Gina M. says:

What if you don’t have a high-powered blender. Can you purchase coconut butter?

• Halle @ Whole Lifestyle Nutrition says:

Yes you can purchase coconut butter. You would need to use about 2/3 cup coconut butter to replace the 3 cups of shredded coconut.

5. This fudge looks so dreamy and delicious! I wonder if it would work with coconut nectar or agave in place of the honey for a completely vegan version?

6. Vespa Woolf says:

I also love fudge but I don’t love the way it makes me feel after I’ve eaten it! This version sounds both delicious and healthy. Can’t wait to try it–thanks!

7. Robin says:

So excited to find this blog via a pin for this yummy looking fudge! I frequently use coconut flour, coconut oil and coconut milk but have never purchased or made coconut butter. Just have a regular blender not a high speed one; might my blender work to make the butter? I’ve not seen coconut butter in my local stores, is it commonly available?

8. Colette says:

Hi was wondering if coconut oil would work instead and add more nut butter?

9. Jocelyn Dominguez says:

Hi,
    Could I use coconut oil instead of coconut butter?

10. annie says:

Hi! I wondered if you could replace the honey with brown sugar or cane sugar? Is there a strong coconut flavor? I have the Artisana organic raw coconut butter, so than I would use about 2/3rd cups coconut butter, so would that mean a little less than 2/3rd cups? I know the coconut butter has a thick consistency and a little saltiness to it. So, could I use a little less salt in the recipe? If you didn’t use peanut butter or almond butter, would it make a big difference in the thickness of the fudge? Thanks! And thanks for sharing the recipe!

11. annie says:

Hi! again, Well, I talked to my sister and she said to use coconut nectar to replace the honey. Thanks.

12. Mary daugharty says:

Hello, wondering exactly what size coconut you used? I had a bigger size, and never could get it to turn in to “coconut butter”, ending up trying to melt it over a double boiler?! And I spent over an hour trying to “blend” it into “coconut butter” before I attempted the double boiler method. :/