Written by Halle of Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
I just LOVE fudge. What I don’t love is all the refined sugars that is in most fudge recipes so I set out to make a delicious fudge that uses an unrefined sweetener to replace the sugar. Oh my goodness, these turned out amazing.
The star ingredient in this recipe is coconut butter. Have you ever made coconut butter before? It is super easy to make. Coconut butter/cream is dehydrated coconut, preferably freshly dehydrated coconut flakes, that is put into the food processor/vita mix and blended to form a liquid cream. If you haven’t made some yet, you are in for a real treat.
Earlier in the year I did a how to video for making coconut butter: How To Make Organic Coconut Butter. I drizzle it on just about anything. Some of my favorite ways to use coconut butter are my organic coconut bark/cookies recipe and now this great fudge recipe.
The other key ingredient is raw honey. Raw honey has so many amazing health benefits. Raw honey is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal substance and has been used for thousand of years for medical uses and in food preparation.
Substituting processed sugar, artificial sweeteners and other forms of sweeteners with raw honey can often times be a much healthier alternative. Here is a article, Recipes, Tips & Benefits Of Using Raw Honey, explaining the health benefits of raw honey and how to substitute raw honey into your recipes.
Here is a quick video showing you how easy it is to make this fudge. This fudge only takes 15 minutes to make and tastes amazing. Happy holidays everyone.
Here is a naturally sweetened fudge for the holidays that isn't loaded with sugar! Delicious!
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter/almond butter (optional)
- Place the coconut into a high powered food processor.
- Blend on high for 5-10 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides every few minutes.
- When the mixture becomes runny you will then have coconut butter (see video above this recipe).
- Remove coconut butter from food processor and place it into a medium bowl. Add all the remaining other ingredients and mix well.
- Press fudge into a small dish lined with parchment paper.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes, remove and cut into 15 small pieces.
What are some of your favorite healthier holiday treats?